Billy Duffy - Effects

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Billy Duffy - Effects

Postby Strat59 on Thu May 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Always been a HUGE fan of Billy Duffy (The Cult). Never seems to get the attention in the press lesser players do. Yet his Tone IMHO is awesome for
the style he plays. Heavy & Tasteful with great Riffage. Slash gets mucho attention but I'd put Billy up as easily his equal , better in my opinion.

Anyone know what (if any) effects he uses. Delay for one.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Re: Billy Duffy - Effects

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Thu May 05, 2011 10:30 pm

I seem to remember that Duffy used a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, PH-1R Phaser, and BF-2 Flanger with a couple of DM-2 delays (later adding a DD3). Another part of his sound was combining a Marshall with a Roland JC 120 (chorus on), which gave him a wider sound that covered several frequency ranges.

Later on, he got a Bradshaw rack (around the time of Sonic Temple) and all this went into the front end of his Marshall, with a line out feeding 2 Yamaha SPX 90's which powered his effects cabs in stereo.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Strat59 on Fri May 06, 2011 8:57 am

:thumbsup: The Roland definitely seems a staple of his signature tone. Has definitely created a great sound. And as with all great players , whether he is using his white falcon or les paul, his tone remains the same.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby power lover on Fri May 20, 2011 3:49 am

for electric, take any good sounding non-master and do this 5 second mod

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
power lover
Knight

Return to Signature Tones