Help needed with middle P/U for Strat,,,????

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Help needed with middle P/U for Strat,,,????

Postby zozoe29 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:44 pm

~Fender SCN Noiseless,,,,what's the scoop on these??????
~Fender Vintage Noiseless,,,,
or ANY other noiseless magnetic magic that would blend well with my Hot Noiseless in neck & Little59 in bridge for the sweetest 2 & 4 positions this side of the Verrazzano Bridge!!
~Any noiseless Duncans to consider for middle slot?
Thanks all!! Kenny

What in the world is the Fender SCN Noiseless???
zozoe29
Peasant

Re: Help needed with middle P/U for Strat,,,????

Postby LReese on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Just MO - but if you're wanting to use stacked PU's you're not going to get the sweetest 2 & 4 position sounds.

I've tried a full set of Vintage Rails - they can do the quack thing well. It might even work well with the Little 59 if you put a resistor/cap on the little 59.

You can also do Singles and Suhr BPSSC (my favorite one).

The other thing you can do is get the Duncan Stack Plus PU's (a whole set - with a RWRP middle). You can disable the the hum cancelling coils in the combo position with a 4 pole switch. The only problem with this is that RWRP tends to thin out in the combo positions in some rigs - hence I like the BPSSC solution assuming you have a vibrato bridge.

Lace Hot Gold might also be acceptable. No idea on how it would combine with the Hot Noiseless or Little '59
LReese
Page

Postby lyman on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:10 pm

maybe i'm wrong, and please correct me if I am....but you don't need a noiseless middle p/u to get hum canceling in positions 2 and 4. all you need is one that is reverse polarity compared to the bridge/neck p/u's. doesn't that act like a humbucker or am i off my rocker? of course, if you're gonna use the middle p/u on its own and want it to be hum-free then that's a different case. just htinking that maybe you don't need to limit your search to the stacked single coil variety which LReese correctly described as not quite as sweet sounding when blended.
lyman
Certified

Postby dotfret on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 am

Er, no, Lyman, it is only going to act like a humbucker if you wire it that way - like they do on the Nashville Teles.
dotfret
Peasant

Postby LReese on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Its a Hot Noiseless neck PU - So to get a hum free neck + middle you need a stacked middle. AFAIK, the Hot Noiseless is not splittable without modding.

I so wished stacks would quack well together - they have the best noise rejection. A vintage rails middle might do the trick seeing its a different format - never tried the configuration so I could be completely wrong. Its going to look odd if thats an issue.

To get humbucking you need 2 single coils of reverse wind and polarity. That's what I was getting at with my Duncan Stack plus solution. They can be ordered with a RWRP middle and with a 4 pole switch the hum cancelling coils can be disabled only in the combo positions. This would result in essentially 2 single coils in parallel (reverse in winding and polarity from each other - the classic Strat combo) and 2 disabled humcancelling coils.

FWIW - I've heard good reports on the Wilde L-45 (Bill Lawrence) - they're rails pickups and they are very reasonably priced.
LReese
Page

Postby lyman on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:28 pm

LReese wrote:to get a hum free neck + middle you need a stacked middle. AFAIK, the Hot Noiseless is not splittable without modding.

To get humbucking you need 2 single coils of reverse wind and polarity. That's what I was getting at with my Duncan Stack plus solution.

So in other words a stacked neck + regular single coil middle will still hum? And in order to get it hum-free you'd have to split the neck but you can't with most stacked "single coil" p/u's. Makes sense, thanks LReese for the correction.
lyman
Certified

Postby LReese on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Correct - If you split the stack somehow, you need to wind up with 2 coils with reverse wind/reverse polarity from each other for noise to cancel. Wind direction can usually be taken care of by reversing wires.
LReese
Page

Postby yladrd61 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Seymour Duncan SSL1 matched set with RW/RP middle pickup you will never stack or go noiseless again !!!
yladrd61
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 am

What in the world is the Fender SCN Noiseless???

SCN = Samarium Cobalt Noiseless

I have a 60 anniversary american strat with ash body and the scn pickups. I love it. them fancy samarium cobalt magnets really get rid of the buzzing and the sound is fn great
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:54 am

i finally found the link to the demo that 'hackdog' made on youtube of the scn pickups. a lot of people dis these as 'not really sounding like a strat'...

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Signature Tones