Big Brother and the Holding Company - Bass signature

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Big Brother and the Holding Company - Bass signature

Postby RC_Matthias on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:12 am

Hey,
anyone have an idea on the gear used by Bruce Campbell, the bassist of BBHC (with Janis Joplin)?
I know he was loud, but any ideas on the gear or websites are more than welcome ;)

Cheers,
~Matthias
Hiwatt DR103 - 1978
Hiwatt SE4123 - 1974 (?)
HI-Tone, DR-F Loaded 4x12 Cabinet - 2010
Klira SG - 1970
Klira Hollow Paul - 1960's
Fender MIM Strat classic '60s RI - 2007
Univox Superfuzz Clone
RC_Matthias
Page

Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company - Bass signature

Postby sunndemon on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:24 am

To set the record straight, Peter Albin was the primary bassist with Big Brother, occasionally switching off with guitarist James Gurley. Albin usually played a Gibson EB-3 bass(the SG-styled 'Jack Bruce' bass), but I have seen film footage of BBHC with Janis in the studio with a block inlay Fender Jazz Bass. A seemingly 'out-there' Albin with the Gibson playing thru late '60s upright Fender Showman amplifiers is of course prominently featured in the "Monterey Pop" DVD with BB/Janis performing their signature tune, "Ball & Chain" in 1967. Now, BRAD Campbell was the bassist with Janis' final group, the Full Tilt Boogie Band, throughout 1970 until her death in September of that year. He also served time in her '69 band, the Kozmic Blues Band, which featured a horn section. Campbell was always seen with a white Fender Precision, many times amplified by an Acoustic 360, which was just coming in at that time as THE bass amp. Lots of great footage of the FTBB in the film 'Festival Express", but I'm sure if you poke around on Youtube you can see plenty of live/TV Janis clips.
sunndemon
Page

Re: Big Brother and the Holding Company - Bass signature

Postby RC_Matthias on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for the quick reply,
and sorry for the confusing "Bruce campbell" thing, it was late at night and me and my bassist just had a conversation about his main influences where I clearly got misinformed ;) A lot of great information you've provided here, we can now continue our quest for a new amp in the light of this information, many thanks!

Cheers,
~Matthias
Hiwatt DR103 - 1978
Hiwatt SE4123 - 1974 (?)
HI-Tone, DR-F Loaded 4x12 Cabinet - 2010
Klira SG - 1970
Klira Hollow Paul - 1960's
Fender MIM Strat classic '60s RI - 2007
Univox Superfuzz Clone
RC_Matthias
Page

Return to Signature Tones