Covering_________________.....Hendrix!

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Covering_________________.....Hendrix!

Postby ValveLust on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm

I'm a guitarist and plan to cover several Hendrix tunes in a new band.

Manic Depression
Voodoo Chile
Red House
Little Wing
maybe more....

I know a univibe and fuzzface was common, how about for echo/reverb or?

Could someone give me the down and dirty on which effects Hendrix used and better yet by song if anyone has the knowledge?

:jam:
ValveLust
Squire

Re: Covering_________________.....Hendrix!

Postby Johnny C. on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 pm

ValveLust wrote:I'm a guitarist and plan to cover several Hendrix tunes in a new band.

Manic Depression - fuzz (plus wah on Live at Winterland for instance).
Voodoo Chile - fuzz, wah, panning, tape echo
Red House - fuzz, tape echo
Little Wing - is that a Leslie on there?
maybe more....

I know a univibe and fuzzface was common, how about for echo/reverb or?

Could someone give me the down and dirty on which effects Hendrix used and better yet by song if anyone has the knowledge?

:jam:
It is only noise that we secretly want - Morton Feldman
Johnny C.
Modern/Experimental probation

Postby Johnny C. on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:30 pm

For echo, go for an EP-3 if you have one or an analog delay perhaps. I run my delay post-mic into another (combo) amp so as not to screw with the harmonic distortion between the guitar, fuzz and amp - but that's me. If you have two amps you could try a pan pedal to get that swooshing left to right thing on Voodoo Child.
It is only noise that we secretly want - Morton Feldman
Johnny C.
Modern/Experimental probation

Postby Friedmett on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Sounds:

Jimi's effects and amps were modified so no stock fuzz, univibe, octavio or wah would get the same as Jimi had.

Roger Mayer did the effects and wiring of his guitars for the optimal tones and Marshall did what supossed to be done to the Super JH100 watt Marshall which is based on the Dickinson Marshall head former used by Jimi in early 1967.

Back a few years when I was doing Hendrix covers I had to tweak the fuzz and wah which was new reissue stuff. You can find the schematics on the net for Jimi mods. These are basics and I found the tone to be in the ball park.

I used a Marshall Major with KT88's and a powerbrake with volume on 10! This is not recommended as the plate voltage on a Major is 650 volts. A fuzz or any boost will boost the voltage and the transformer will blow up. 3 years later the KT88's were melted but the rest survived fine. New Powertubes and it sounded great again. I belive that the fan installed just above the powertubes (only amp mod!)were effective to keep them somewhat cool.

Any kind of vintage '60-'70 Marshall will do. For octavia (Purple haze and Band of Gypsies) get the right one at Roger Mayer as the EH is a non Roger Mayer supervised product(not the same and Roger built it first). I also recommend the Voodoo Vibe of Roger. I have and used the Dunlop Univibe but its a bit on the weak sounding side.

Guitars:

A good Fender Stratocaster with Fender 1969 pickups. That will do the trick. My Stratocaster has '69 pickups since 2000 or so.
Friedmett
Certified

Postby Friedmett on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Playing style:

Use volume control and never play the same thing twice. Jimi kept the framework for every song and improvising.

There are tons of out takes on the bootleg market and Hey joe never sounds the same regardless of when he played it.

Voodoo Chile Slight return was 15 takes as I recall and take 15 is the studio version. Its live in the studio.

Little Wing studio is a Leslie speaker. Univibe came shortly before Woodstock in 1969.

Decide if you go for copying straight or play it like he did. In the studio he tried anything he could do and live it was different. Just the Marshall stacks to effects to guitar.

Effects were: Fuzz face, Vox Wah, Octavia (Band of gypsies and studio) and univibe all tweaked by Roger Mayer.

Jimi used whatever effect live depending on how he felt in the songs. This means some studio might have just fuzz but live he ads the wah or something else. Woodstock is the first live gig with the univibe and nearly on all songs.
Friedmett
Certified

Postby sunndemon on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:34 am

You could go the extreme and get a left-hand built Strat and flip it over; otherwise, do the SRV trick of installing a left-hand vibrato/bridge on a right-hand guitar so that the whammy bar is on top---the strings will slack in an entirely different way. Oh, and don't forget to use coiled cable...
sunndemon
Page

Postby yladrd61 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 am

You need a Strat with Vintage Style Pickups, a good fuzz face {analog man}, a good wah {area 51}, and a good 50 or 100 watt Marshall Super Lead or Copy {Metropolous}, and lots of practice that will get you close
yladrd61
Peasant

Postby yladrd61 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:10 am

Friedmett wrote:Sounds:

Jimi's effects and amps were modified so no stock fuzz, univibe, octavio or wah would get the same as Jimi had.

Roger Mayer did the effects and wiring of his guitars for the optimal tones and Marshall did what supossed to be done to the Super JH100 watt Marshall which is based on the Dickinson Marshall head former used by Jimi in early 1967.

Back a few years when I was doing Hendrix covers I had to tweak the fuzz and wah which was new reissue stuff. You can find the schematics on the net for Jimi mods. These are basics and I found the tone to be in the ball park.

I used a Marshall Major with KT88's and a powerbrake with volume on 10! This is not recommended as the plate voltage on a Major is 650 volts. A fuzz or any boost will boost the voltage and the transformer will blow up. 3 years later the KT88's were melted but the rest survived fine. New Powertubes and it sounded great again. I belive that the fan installed just above the powertubes (only amp mod!)were effective to keep them somewhat cool.

Any kind of vintage '60-'70 Marshall will do. For octavia (Purple haze and Band of Gypsies) get the right one at Roger Mayer as the EH is a non Roger Mayer supervised product(not the same and Roger built it first). I also recommend the Voodoo Vibe of Roger. I have and used the Dunlop Univibe but its a bit on the weak sounding side.

Guitars:

A good Fender Stratocaster with Fender 1969 pickups. That will do the trick. My Stratocaster has '69 pickups since 2000 or so.

A boost or fuzz will have no effect on plate voltage. Your tubes more than likely died from being biased to hot and cranking it up to 10 with an attenuator.
yladrd61
Peasant

Return to Signature Tones