Michel Schenker

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Michel Schenker

Postby Mats A on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qP_OqOJ8ug

Looks like he´s got a wah wah but he doesn´t seem to use it.
Mats A
Page

Re: Michel Schenker

Postby DreamTone7 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Cool vid. Schenker is a fan of the "cocked wah" trick. You turn your wah on, find a sweet spot for the tone you like, then leave it alone. Sometimes he'll use two wahs...one for altering the tone (mentioned above), and another for actual use as a wah pedal.
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Postby Mats A on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Well actually I don´t think Michael used a half cocked wah wah much in UFO. He used it on some solos. On this clip his sound is pretty much a nearly dimed 50 W Marshall and his hands and guitar. have you ever tried playing chords with a wah wah half cocked? Souds pretty awful. In early MSG Michael played with his foot on the wah wah on solos but swithched it off when playing chords. And when playing with the wah wah on it never souds like his old tone. Sometimes he should hit that same spot. Using two wah wah´s seems highly unlikely. marshall stacks at full blast then two wah wah´s on. Guess it should feedback like crazy. I´ve tried playing with a cry baby on and it never sounds as Schenker in UFO. It sounds very thin and like bad distortion when playing chords.
Mats A
Page

Postby jcs on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:07 am

Depends on your wah too, they certainly dont all sound anything alike.

That said, i agree as i think Schenkers UFO tone was mostly straight in, but other times i am not so sure.
jcs
King

Postby Mats A on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:53 am

I have tried many different wah wah´s and they all have quite a sharp bandwidth since that is how wah wahs work. The only way to get them to sound ok when playing chords is to turn down the tone a bit on the guitar I think. But don´t think Schenker played with any tone rolled down. If you look at MSG on Rockpalazt (wich was newly released on Dvd) he plays a solo lead break in the end of Doctor doctor if I remember correctly. And there he turns on and off his wah wah while playing a chord before he starts playing single string runs. It sounds quit ugly with the wah wah turned on. very far from his very sweet and beautiful UFO tone.
Mats A
Page

Postby DreamTone7 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Here's some more on Schenker, if you're interested:

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/new/node/51
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Postby Mats A on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:46 am

Tanks for that. Standing with the foot on his wah wah on almost every solo was something he started with in MSG. In UFO he seldom did that and that was mostly in the later years of his 70´s UFO days. Thi8s Rock Bottom clip sounds no way with a wah wah on to my ears. To dark and fat for that.
Mats A
Page

Postby Noel on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Seems to me "Strangers in the Night" has a lot of wah-enhances solos on it. That first Schenker Group LP with Simon Phillips drumming on it too. "Feels like a Good Thing" I think, would have to have the cocked wah on the solo to get that tone.
Both great albums, man!
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Return to Signature Tones