roland cube

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

roland cube

Postby geoff_bell on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:13 am

seasick steve uses one of these (on the bassman setting i hear). does the furm have any opinions on the cube amplifier line?

i had a jam-come-audition-with-view-to-forming -a-band with some chaps at the weekend and the other guitarist was using a 30w cube. he seems happy enough with the amp, but finds the noise supressor actually adds noise at bedroom volumes or something. i had thought of getting one of these amps myself for a while, thinking that roland/boss have been making effects and sound devices for a long long time and their amp modelling could be better than the rest.

also his 30w amp doesn't sound much "louder" than my 5w peavey royal.

our next jam-come-audition-with-view-to-forming -a-band will be next saturday will be in the drummer's spare-room as opposed to mate-of-the-drummer's-garage, so there will be less about sounds and more about working on songs.
geoff_bell
Knight

Re: roland cube

Postby Camembert Electrique on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:28 am

I bought a Cube 60 last year to use as a practise amp at home and for gigs where my Marshall halfstack would be too massive. Good little amp, I think. Better than most transistor thingys out there. They have good clean sounds, but the modelled distortion/overdrive sounds are a little generic IMO so I never use them. I use my Mesa Boogie V- twin pedal in front of it (2 x ECC83/12AX7), and that make matters much better (using the "blackface" setting on the Roland with the gain turned up to where it ALLMOST breaks up). With this set-up I have a nice and moveable rig for jamnights and such as well as situations where I don't need all the volume and brutal power of my old Marshall.

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby gypsy moth on Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:09 pm

my marshall loving brother left a cube 30 here; he says he likes it, but when he needed a little amp for something he borrowed my crate v5. with proper tubes & speaker I find that to be a far nicer amp, especially when overdriven..

yeah, if you use a clean setting on the roland with a good pedal, that would likely be preferable to the o/d in the amp.

upgrading your peavey speaker seems a better route to me - although I'm not familiar with them.
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby t0aj15 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:28 pm

I read an interview with Joe Walsh and in that interview he talks about his Cube 60 & his Boss pedalboard, so I'd say that's a pretty impressive endorsement right there. In the interview he talked about in his early days with the Eagles where he used to use four of them stacked two up two down side by each, and still uses one backstage for warming up before he comes on stage. He also uses one with the speaker disconnected on stage to drive his talk-box.
"Life is not a movie. Good guys do lose, everybody lies, everybody dies,
and love... does not conquer all."
t0aj15
Knight

Postby parkhead on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:40 pm

t0aj15 wrote:I read an interview with Joe Walsh and in that interview he talks about his Cube 60 & his Boss pedalboard, so I'd say that's a pretty impressive endorsement right there. In the interview he talked about in his early days with the Eagles where he used to use four of them stacked two up two down side by each, and still uses one backstage for warming up before he comes on stage. He also uses one with the speaker disconnected on stage to drive his talk-box.

Good story all it needs is a VAMPIRE and a heroic young lady with spectacular legs to be a hit movie ....

I'll be totally cynical here ... the endorsement pitch always starts with

"on stage I use a monster XYZ name brand amplifier, but for rehearsal and tuning up backstage I use a "insert solid state paid endorser amp name here" and it sounds just as good as my big stacks"

ever notice that in all artist interviews in guitar Magazines the artist always gets around to telling you all about his latest discovery in cool new consumer grade gear and his string choice right in the last paragraph.

My favorite line from a 70's GP mag was "I tell you this new Blah Blah import guitar is so good I'm thinking of leaving my Old Les Paul (59 burst) at home on the next tour, they sound almost the same"

These days there is no shortage of cheap chinese made tube stuff at all price points, mid vintage used tube stuff at all price points, and build it yourself kits for the truly picky ... silicon chips belong in your camera, recorder and cell phone

also realize that the "import brand" guitar your artist endorses is not made offshore like the example you buy at the store, his is made by some famous hollywood luthier who's job is to build exactly what the artist wants and needs as long as it looks like the import in photographs

oh and just because I've pointed all this out does not mean that all this gear is useless.. for rehearsal recording or any use you have in mind ... just be a little more suspicous of the music press... since the current advertizers with new products to sell are paying the bill

follow up note
looks like the valveking Royal is one of those 5 watt chinese champ type amps that are perfectly wonderful, yes it is probably louder than the 30 watt cube
hint of the day... Hammond 125ese output transformer if it will fit ... hot damn
p
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Postby t0aj15 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 pm

parkhead wrote:
t0aj15 wrote:I read an interview with Joe Walsh and in that interview he talks about his Cube 60 & his Boss pedalboard, so I'd say that's a pretty impressive endorsement right there. In the interview he talked about in his early days with the Eagles where he used to use four of them stacked two up two down side by each, and still uses one backstage for warming up before he comes on stage. He also uses one with the speaker disconnected on stage to drive his talk-box.

Good story all it needs is a VAMPIRE and a heroic young lady with spectacular legs to be a hit movie ....

I'll be totally cynical here ...

For the Cynics;
http://www.bossus.com/boss_users_group/article.php?ArticleId=813
"Life is not a movie. Good guys do lose, everybody lies, everybody dies,
and love... does not conquer all."
t0aj15
Knight

Postby 928GTS on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 pm

I really don't care much for the distortion models on my Micro Cube but I love using it on the JC Clean setting and a fair amount of reverb with my Ampeg B25B since I haven't gotten around to getting a reverb pedal. It works very well indeed and combines well with other pedals.
928GTS
Page

Return to Signature Tones