Great tone one hit wonders..sorta

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: Great tone one hit wonders..sorta

Postby Mayhawk on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:04 am

Sort of a one hit wonder, or maybe two hit wonder.....Ides of March. The lead tone on 'Vehicle' was tops in my book. Very thick yet clear. I seem to remember the singer/guitarist using a Les Paul....with P90's? Amps? No clue.

Again, no one hit wonder, but I loved Terry Kath's tone as well (Chicago.) Gibson SG's and Les Pauls.....occasional strat. I think he used an Acoustic 150. Tone is in the hands.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Funky54 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:04 am

Badfinger was no 'one hit wonder' by any means. But gearwise, I think they used whatever they could lay their paws on. Generally screwed by management...used lots of donor gear (Beatles, esp George Harrison, etc). It seems they did use mostly GIbson guitars with humbuckers, though I do recall Joey using a Firebird with mini-buckers. Hiwatt amps I believe.

From that genre, Raspberries rang my bell, big time. Loved Wally Bryson's tone....Gibson V, SG double neck, and a Rick 360/12 through Marshalls. Eric Carmen favored his Gibson hotrodded Melody Makers (with humbuckers, white one later sold to Joan Jett) and Les Paul Custom. His amp of choice was a Vox AC100. At least in concert, though he may have used an AC30 in the studio. Both Eric and Wally used SG's from time to time. I think late in the band's career they used Ampeg stacks.

I actually emailed Eric years ago, what the heck, with regard to his gear choices and he actually answered. Really yacked a lot. No gear hound and he didn't keep any gear as a rule, but he says he remembers the AC100's fondly. Said he would hit a big power chord, there would be a slight pause, and then <WHAM> the sound would floor you. Great stuff.
8)[/quote]
Yeah I am a huge fan of Badfinger! Love them to death. I'm 39. Most of my friends my age or younger have no clue, or are vaguely familur with No Matter What...but past that never heard of them..so by today's standards, they are unheard of. Most bands I have play'd in ask me about that "song" you do. They don't even know its name. Sad isnt it.
Last edited by Funky54 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Funky54
Certified

Postby Ned B on Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:03 am

Mayhawk wrote:Sort of a one hit wonder, or maybe two hit wonder.....Ides of March. The lead tone on 'Vehicle' was tops in my book. Very thick yet clear. I seem to remember the singer/guitarist using a Les Paul....with P90's? Amps? No clue.

That was Jim Peterik later of Survivor who penned the 38 Special Hits "Hold on Loosely" and "Fantsay Girl." In the Ides of March days he had a p90s goldtop with a flower power sticker behind the wraparound bridge.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Funky54 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Ned B wrote:
Mayhawk wrote:Sort of a one hit wonder, or maybe two hit wonder.....Ides of March. The lead tone on 'Vehicle' was tops in my book. Very thick yet clear. I seem to remember the singer/guitarist using a Les Paul....with P90's? Amps? No clue.

That was Jim Peterik later of Survivor who penned the 38 Special Hits "Hold on Loosely" and "Fantsay Girl." In the Ides of March days he had a p90s goldtop with a flower power sticker behind the wraparound bridge.

Very Cool! Had no idea. It seems obvious now LOL.
Funky54
Certified

Postby Strat59 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:04 pm

The Romantics - What I like about you. Great Tones.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Funky54 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19 pm

ohhhhh thats a good one. Jealous I didn't list it.
How about Greg Kinn "The Break up song"
Funky54
Certified

Postby Slam on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 am

Alright, i'll chime in. April wine, All Over Town.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfvBw_27FNY

The break up song was an old band favorite years ago, great tune.
Slam
Court Jester

Postby Kevlar3000 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:28 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyTu_ZdcBCo

This whole album rocks! Great tones everywhere.

Nick Gilder of Hot Child in the City fame has several albums full of great guitar sounds. I am amazed he was not bigger than we was, song after song of album rock perfection.
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Postby Slam on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:53 pm

I had the chance to see Donnie Iris along with America at the Ampitheater in Cleveland a few years back. I thought for sure Leah was going to be a Train wreck, but he pulled it off without a hiccup.
Slam
Court Jester

Postby Funky54 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:15 pm

Kevlar3000 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyTu_ZdcBCo

This whole album rocks! Great tones everywhere.

Nick Gilder of Hot Child in the City fame has several albums full of great guitar sounds. I am amazed he was not bigger than we was, song after song of album rock perfection.

Ah Leah was awesome....what the heck is that video LOL!!
Ok Ok how about Billy thorpe "Children of the Sun"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyDVi2Bl ... e=related#
Funky54
Certified

Postby RocknTommy on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Anything Badfinger!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

I like the rough tone of Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet
Ampeg V4
Ampeg VT-22 (sold)
Ampeg VT-40
Sunn T50-C
Fender Pro 185
Love Pedal 1/2 watt
Peavey Heritage
Epiphone Valve Jr
RocknTommy
Certified

Postby Sean Camp on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:54 am

Divine Intervention by Mathew Sweet I like the intro tone, and the lead sound is over the top and goes with the almost out of control playing.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Great tone one hit wonders..sorta Badfinger

Postby 8MilesHigher on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:00 pm

RocknTommy wrote: Anything Badfinger!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

Yeah ---- the Gibson SG that Pete Ham is playing in this Baby Blue video is none other than George Harrison's original from the Paperback Writer video and Revolver photo sessions of 1966. (Which was also taken along on the Beatles '66 tour as a spare guitar, but never used in the '66 concerts). George gave the SG to Pete Ham as a gift, as George was very much involved with Badfinger activities for a time there. I read in some Badfinger history account, that after Pete's suicide, Pete's brother sold the Paperback Writer SG to some collector, for a very reasonable amount. There's some great tone that came out of that guitar, in the hands of two masters.
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" --- Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28, 1969
8MilesHigher
Court Jester

Postby musicfunkydude on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Of the top of my head,one hit wonders with memorable guitar?

1/ 2,4,6,8 motorway, Tom Robinson Band ,awesome guitar tone,
2/The guitar break in Sad Cafe's Every day hurts, fantastic 4 bar in and out,sparkling lead.
3/Wild chery '' play that funky music" the two sides of a les paul, that timeless funky intro riff and the screaming wah wah solo, what a record!!

will come back with others, cool thread.
musicfunkydude
Peasant

Postby musicfunkydude on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:54 pm

On the memorable guitar tones thread, how i could i have forgotten, ''Its a long way there'' by the Little River Band, i tunes it,download it, dig out the old album, steal it, whatever, i was 15 when i first heard it and it still gives me goosbumps now, wow!! check it out, It's your duty !!has to be a les paul,,
musicfunkydude
Peasant

PreviousNext

Return to Signature Tones