Great tone one hit wonders..sorta

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Great tone one hit wonders..sorta

Postby Funky54 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 pm

We all know a Rock song or two from a band that kinda came and went that had great tone! ( leaving out the Blues, cause that would include to many) Lets share? I'm leaving out the obvious, Hendirx , Claptain, Page, Beck...even their obscure songs.

An example:
Urge Overkill- the entire Saturation album..only one I ever heard. "Sister Havanna" Bottle of fur"
Space Hog- like "In the mean time" "Cruel to be kind"
Varuca Salt- A cool chick band
Traviling Wilburries- awesome box set
Head East- flat as a pancake
Badfinger- Everything they ever did. Baby blue, No Matter What, Day after Day, Without you.....

Give stuff to check out!
Funky54
Certified

Re: Great tone one hit wonders..sorta

Postby AndyHighTides on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:08 pm

TrebleCharger. Shit pop but Bob Rock hooked them up with Metallica's Black album gear. Same amps, guitar's, mikes, everything.
AndyHighTides
Court Jester

Postby MichaelE on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:17 pm

Martin Briley, 'Salt in My Tears'

First heard that I think in '85 or '86 and never heard from the guy again.

Just a basic three chord song, but not bad.

Head East was really big since they are from here. The sound guy and ex keyboard player still come into my store, but I didn't recognize either one at first until they told me who they were.
MichaelE
Page

Postby Funky54 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 pm

MichaelE wrote:Martin Briley, 'Salt in My Tears'

First heard that I think in '85 or '86 and never heard from the guy again.

Just a basic three chord song, but not bad.

Head East was really big since they are from here. The sound guy and ex keyboard player still come into my store, but I didn't recognize either one at first until they told me who they were.

Yeah dude! I remember that one! blondesatan taking his stuff...
Funky54
Certified

Postby Funky54 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:48 pm

A couple years ago there was a campy song on the radio with a Van Morrison feel called "Story Of A Girl" Not that story of a girl was special, but the album had some cool retro tones worth hearing. lots of lush sounding flanger and echo plex sounds. Cover shows Orange amps. Check it out.

Also thought of "Fly High Michelle" by enuff's enough
Funky54
Certified

Postby Funky54 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:25 am

Mr. Big came and went, but remember the tune, Ithink it was "Green tinted sixties Vibe" awsome! I need to drag that out of my gazzillion CD's.
Add Radar Love before somebody mentions it!

Come on...the awsome musicians on the site and nothing.... How we supposed to learn and keep our minds fresh?

Fo new stuff try: BLUE VAN --kinda CCR meets The Romons / Rooney- phycadalic Beechboys meets playing Bostons gear / The Shins- Smiths meet U2 trying to sound like Moody Blues / rockatuers, jack whites side band Awesome! You hear some zepplin influence I listened to the first Album a billion times, really good stuff.
Funky54
Certified

Postby rocco on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Major Tom (Coming Home) maybe not GREAT tone but very interesting
You're gonna need a bigger boat.
rocco
Knight

Postby Funky54 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:49 pm

rocco wrote:Major Tom (Coming Home) maybe not GREAT tone but very interesting

We talking Mick Ronson? Major Tom or is this something else? If its Mick Ronson...He is in my top 5 all time tone smiths! Angel No.9, Ziggy...good stuff!

Looked up peter schilling...that who you mean? Yeah interesting. Not my cup of tee but artsy and talented.
Funky54
Certified

Postby jaywalker on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 am

First tune that came to mind for me is by a guy that came and never really went...just kinda fell of the radar (mine anyway) but has been very busy for years. Polk Salad Annie...Tony Joe White. Tune is just as fresh to me today as it was when released. I like that tone. Don't know what he used. I'm thinking talent-fingers-ears into guitar, wah (at end), amp.
jaywalker
Baron

Postby Funky54 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 am

the power of Youtube..Very cool. Polk salad annie was before my time so off my radar. Glad you shared. There is a band getting known from Florida with a sound that has that kinda feel..JJ Grey & MoFro. Check it out. its got some phycadelic early stevie wonder mixed with Johny Cash and Cammander Codey..Its great stuff.
Funky54
Certified

Postby kenji on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:19 am

Fooled Around And Feel In Love-Elvin Bishop
All The Young Dudes-Ian Hunter/Moot The Hoople
Hot Child In The City-Nick Gilder
Dont Ever Wanna Lose You-New England
Stage Fright-Legs Diamond
Live To Win.....
kenji
Knight

Postby Funky54 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:33 pm

kenji wrote:Fooled Around And Feel In Love-Elvin Bishop
All The Young Dudes-Ian Hunter/Moot The Hoople
Hot Child In The City-Nick Gilder
Dont Ever Wanna Lose You-New England
Stage Fright-Legs Diamond

Yeah All the Young dudes is a classic. Love that tone with the booster.
Funky54
Certified

Postby rocco on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Funky54 wrote:
rocco wrote:Major Tom (Coming Home) maybe not GREAT tone but very interesting

We talking Mick Ronson? Major Tom or is this something else? If its Mick Ronson...He is in my top 5 all time tone smiths! Angel No.9, Ziggy...good stuff!

Looked up peter schilling...that who you mean? Yeah interesting. Not my cup of tee but artsy and talented.

no, the Peter Shilling song from the 80's..Ronson was awesome on ziggy, did he use a whit e L.P. custom on that stuff
You're gonna need a bigger boat.
rocco
Knight

Postby Funky54 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:48 am

From all I've read, He stripped or had his roaddie strip it to be blonde. Something about, they thought that would make it more high pitched. Ronson's sound on Angel #9 is just great!
Funky54
Certified

Postby Mayhawk on Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:59 am

Funky54 wrote:We all know a Rock song or two from a band that kinda came and went that had great tone! ( leaving out the Blues, cause that would include to many) Lets share? I'm leaving out the obvious, Hendirx , Claptain, Page, Beck...even their obscure songs.

An example:
Urge Overkill- the entire Saturation album..only one I ever heard. "Sister Havanna" Bottle of fur"
Space Hog- like "In the mean time" "Cruel to be kind"
Varuca Salt- A cool chick band
Traviling Wilburries- awesome box set
Head East- flat as a pancake
Badfinger- Everything they ever did. Baby blue, No Matter What, Day after Day, Without you.....

Give stuff to check out!

Badfinger was no 'one hit wonder' by any means. But gearwise, I think they used whatever they could lay their paws on. Generally screwed by management...used lots of donor gear (Beatles, esp George Harrison, etc). It seems they did use mostly GIbson guitars with humbuckers, though I do recall Joey using a Firebird with mini-buckers. Hiwatt amps I believe.

From that genre, Raspberries rang my bell, big time. Loved Wally Bryson's tone....Gibson V, SG double neck, and a Rick 360/12 through Marshalls. Eric Carmen favored his Gibson hotrodded Melody Makers (with humbuckers, white one later sold to Joan Jett) and Les Paul Custom. His amp of choice was a Vox AC100. At least in concert, though he may have used an AC30 in the studio. Both Eric and Wally used SG's from time to time. I think late in the band's career they used Ampeg stacks.

I actually emailed Eric years ago, what the heck, with regard to his gear choices and he actually answered. Really yacked a lot. No gear hound and he didn't keep any gear as a rule, but he says he remembers the AC100's fondly. Said he would hit a big power chord, there would be a slight pause, and then <WHAM> the sound would floor you. Great stuff. 8)
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Next

Return to Signature Tones