Educate me on Mick Ronson

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Educate me on Mick Ronson

Postby Funky54 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Hey, I have always loved May's tone. I love Thin Lizzy, Tom Scholtz, Badfinger, Claptain's Bellbottom Blues and Badge so on and so on. I have only recently been swept away by Mick Ronson. The lead in "All The Young Dudes", Angel # 9 & Ziggy. What should I be listening to? What other gems are out there, that I don't know about? What Album is Angel # 9 from? Any Ronson advice is helpfull. I gravitate to the Les paul years over the strat stuff.

I have read what everyone says it is..cranked plexi with cracked wah and a treble booster. His Roady swares up and down that there is no Wah?? So help me out. What sould I be listening to? I'm hip to the Rasberries..what else?
Funky54
Certified

Re: Educate me on Mick Ronson

Postby geoff_bell on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 pm

his tone certainly sounds like it's wahed at times.

he's a very underrated (or should that read "forgotten") player. certainly, although i'm not old enough to remember his stuff with bowie at the time, became a great influence on me (not that you'd probably hear it) when i started to play in the late 80s
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby Funky54 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm

geoff_bell wrote:his tone certainly sounds like it's wahed at times.

he's a very underrated (or should that read "forgotten") player. certainly, although i'm not old enough to remember his stuff with bowie at the time, became a great influence on me (not that you'd probably hear it) when i started to play in the late 80s

Sounds like wah to me too, but when I watch youtube stuff, I see him use the foot pedal..but it could very well be a volume into a treble booster?? so i dont know? the movement of his foot doesn't change the filtered frequencies like it should for a Wah. It sounds obvious..but I'm wondering? It almost sounds like he's compressing more and less with the foot movement. I just love angel number nine's solo... I messsed up my foot permently, so i have been trying to set a auto wah..not the same though.
Funky54
Certified

Postby 57lpjr on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:21 pm

Check out his playing with Ian Hunter, who is severely underrated in his own right, also.
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Zemaitis57 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:31 pm

geoff_bell wrote:his tone certainly sounds like it's wahed at times.

I think its a Wah/Tone Bender combo, as JMI (Music Ground) has come out with a limited edition Mick Ronson Tone Bender:

http://www.mickronson.com/mrboard/viewt ... db823a65a7
Life is too short to drink American beer. :-)
Zemaitis57
Page

Postby Strat59 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 pm

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-54404/equipment.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oGyGo1q-k

http://bluesplayer.co.uk/youtube_rockgu ... onson-spoI

Bowie & The Spiders on the Old Grey Whistle Test........ Bowie & Ronson are the
perfect combination. Micks playing had such Soul to it. Something all the greats
have. He was classically trained as a child on violin and piano. Always wanted to
play Cello. Heard Duanne Eddy and took up guitar because Duanne always played
on the bass strings and that to Mick sounded like a Cello. So Mick then always played
on the bass strings like Duanne.

Mick was a no fuss player. When asked did he have a favorite amp , he replied , " no
as long as they work and sound good , I don't care."

To me Bowie was never the same without Mick at his side on guitar.

He co-produced with Bowie , Lou Reeds Classic , Transformer Album. Playing on the
record as well. Also produced Morrissey's - My Arsenal - Album

Micks final album , Heaven & Hull was a great record.

Even in his final days when very ill , he managed to play at the Freddie Mercury
benefit concert with Bowie & Ian Hunter, and tore it up on All The Young Dudes &
Heroes.
Last edited by Strat59 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 am

Love Ronson era Bowie, Mick is instantly recognizable. 8) :thumbsup:

A shame that this sites owner doesn't know what a "pig" major looks like......there are some pics out there.
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby AbbeSauniere on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 am

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:Love Ronson era Bowie, Mick is instantly recognizable. 8) :thumbsup:

A shame that this sites owner doesn't know what a "pig" major looks like......there are some pics out there.

The bit about the Vox Tone Bender is also inaccurate. He used a Gary Hurst/Sola Sound MKI and a Jen Crybaby. Plenty of pics on the net of his MKI and Jen. The MKI was rehoused during the last leg of the Bowie/Ziggy years.
AbbeSauniere
Certified

Postby Funky54 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 am

Old Grey whistle was cool, thanks for the link! This site Rocks! I posted once about Ronson on another site and somebody told me he sucks and tried to tell me real music begain with a band called "5 finger death punch" I can't tell you how great this place is.
Funky54
Certified

Postby Strat59 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 am

5 Finger Death Punch........ Have to be Harmony Central Forum :lol:

We deal in Serious Musicians / Music / Gear over here :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard :cheers:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Funky54 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:25 am

Strat59 wrote:5 Finger Death Punch........ Have to be Harmony Central Forum :lol:

We deal in Serious Musicians / Music / Gear over here :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard :cheers:

Well I'm no guru, But I think its safe to say I'm not gonna look for a 5 finger death punch album. I am happy to be someware that isn't gonna reccomend Digitech for my vintage tone needs.
Funky54
Certified

Postby Ned B on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 am

Slaughter on 10th Avenue is a great one. His rendition of the Richard Rogers piece is a classic. When your hear his signing you might say it is remarkable like Bowie's but actually it was the other way around. Mick had a huge hand in David Bowie's early development.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Noel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:13 pm

WOW! The Freddie Concert clip is great!
Yeah, Ronson had the goods alright. Listen to the Pin Ups album. I love "Rosalynn" on that, but the whole thing is amazing.
Also Aladin Sane. "Crack Actor", man. Beautiful.
Went to a jam nite recently and a friend's new band shows up. They covered "Moonage Daydream". It was an epic moment. Half the house singing along, the other (too young) half, totally scratching their heads. ".....I'm an alligator..."
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Return to Signature Tones