Punky Meadows

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Punky Meadows

Postby BURN on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 am

Alright, don't laugh:) I know he used strats and I think Ampegs.
Was this his basic set up? or what else?
BURN
Squire

Re: Punky Meadows

Postby jcs on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 am

Well i always had a blast at Angel concerts,lots of cute girls, they always packed em in in Kansas City and they proceeded to blow the roof off the dump (like in bomb explosions and i mean LOUD too!

Early tours it was a White early-mid 60s rosewood Strat and at least 2 Ampeg V4 stacks,matter of fact Ampeg everywhere,last tours were a Black rosewood board Strat.

I was near front row on the 'Sinful' tour and i clearly have pics of various Electro-Harmonix pedals on the floor and a table on the side of Punky with bottles of Heineken.

A very heavy powerful sound Angel had live with one of the heaviest keyboard sounds (besides Uriah Heep!)

Punkys tone was very biting and he used the floating whammy extensively on that Strat, hope this helps.
jcs
King

Postby BURN on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:52 am

Thanks for the reply.
Was his live tone like the live album or was the album a lot of post production as far as his tone goes?
BURN
Squire

Postby Zemaitis57 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Not sure if its true, but I remember reading that the Live album was recorded "Live" in the studio and the audience was added in.
Life is too short to drink American beer. :-)
Zemaitis57
Page

Postby jcs on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Try to listen to the King Biscuit version live version, there are several boots out there and no they dont really sound like the 'Live Without a Net' record.

I know side 2 of Sinful was recorded in an arena, to me that is a bit more of what their live sound was like imo.

Barry Brandt hit the drums extremely hard, i remember LOTS of horns in the huge pa system,bassist playing thru several Ampeg SVT ,,,go play a strat thru an Ampeg V4 full tilt with heavy use of a floating tremolo set up and you will be very close to that live tone (fricking LOUD).

I'll say this much nobody sounded or looked like Punky (Elvis Presley being a big influence on his appearance), my friends were shocked at how heavy their sound was live, nothing like the sort of bubblegum image the record covers would suggest!
jcs
King

Postby carlygtr on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 am

great band. I put the 3 King Bisquit tunes up on YT-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbsVKEhBUg8
carlygtr
Squire

Postby jcs on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:28 am

Find the 'Live in Chicago' bootleg, its from the "Sinful" tour and really kicks rear.

Hard to believe a band that invested so much in meticulous stage production has so little recorded video history.
jcs
King

Postby jcs on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:13 am

The 'Live at Fresno 78' bootleg is a pretty good recording for a boot and is how the show sounded in that era.

At this point Felix Robinson took over on bass using a Musicman Bass thru the Ampeg SVT stacks.

Punkys Strat sound was more compressed imo than the early years, i dont know the reason exactly other than the pedalboard filled with EH effects, i dont know what pedals were on it exactly.
jcs
King

Postby Mayhawk on Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:46 am

Those guys in Angel reminded me of the old Breck commercials. We ask about gear and the gals wanna know what conditioner they used. :P

And that's 'hair,' not 'power.' :wink:
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby Kevlar3000 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Greatest guilty pleasure band of all time! I have it all on vinyl...
Kevlar3000
The Vulture King

Return to Signature Tones