massive Pickup shootout

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: massive Pickup shootout

Postby motrock on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 am

I heard this shootout a while back. I have a new MotorCity Pickup coming. Its going to be similar to the Blackbelt..... but with the shortcut A2 and wound to 8.5k. Its similar to the 2nd Degree Blackbelt. Slightly different cause of the cut A2 magnets. He's winding it for the magnet also... which is apparently different then the 2nd Degree Blackbelt!
I like to rock!!!!
motrock
Knight

Postby BIG Dave on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:28 pm

parkhead wrote:Wow a truly staggering shootout 25 various pickups

I only count 20. Where are the other five? But seriously, I've been through many of the "pickup du jour" and got tired of removing pickups, reinstalling pickups, resoldering pickups, selling pickups, buying pickups, etc. I took the plunge and decided to go with real PAF's. Everything changed, everything fell into place, all of a sudden all those sounds from the records were there. Nothing sounds like a real (good) PAF. For me the search is over.
BIG Dave
Knight

Postby parkhead on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:49 am

BIG Dave wrote:
parkhead wrote:Wow a truly staggering shootout 25 various pickups

I only count 20. Where are the other five? But seriously, I've been through many of the "pickup du jour" and got tired of removing pickups, reinstalling pickups, resoldering pickups, selling pickups, buying pickups, etc. I took the plunge and decided to go with real PAF's. Everything changed, everything fell into place, all of a sudden all those sounds from the records were there. Nothing sounds like a real (good) PAF. For me the search is over.

Can't argue with you there, that was certainly my experience with PAF's.
Unfortunately I don't think I can find multiple sets of real PAF's to equip my favorite guitars so I've settled on the Motor cities as being close enough...

I've also found that unlike all other PAF clones the MPC's don't leave you feeling let down when switching from a guitar with real PAF's
they are not identical, but they are not a Let down.

I'll add after you've heard/played real PAF's the whole signature tone QUEST becomes irrelevant... in many cases you easily nail the tones
in other cases your tone is better than what you heard on record ...

In fact "modern rock" would sound a heck of a lot better if all those tattooed detuned dudes used old PAFs

Not to harp on the whole MPC thing but i'll take 95% of the vibe and tonal versatility of the PAF and save the 4k difference.

All the big name "G" and "PRS" humbuckers I've yanked are sitting in a pile in a shoebox ...
but the same thing would be happening if I were buying sets of PAF's

any guitars without MPC's have gone unplayed since I discovered them If I try them I turn up my nose in about three seconds

just like my PAF addicted buddy did to every other boutique PUP I threw at him

Here's a recent clip of a friend playing MPC's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwyl-wwWYI
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Postby hooligan guitars on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:29 pm

TBH, I could barely tell ANY real differences between any of them,apart from the Rebel Yell and the Pearly Gates... :roll:
hooligan guitars
Peasant

Postby The Pup on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:49 am

Not enough difference for me to overcome inertia...mighty effort I'm guessing.

Thanks.
The Pup
Prince

Postby ezekial on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:04 pm

parkhead wrote:

The pups sound great and cutting through the mix just fine, also very good funky playing. What is missing for me here is the lack of sustain, which falls off a cliff and dies while bending and holding a note.

Thanks for your effort and time producing the shoot out.

The sound of the rain which leaps down to the flower, and dances again in the rhythm of the shower. ~Poe~
ezekial
Squire

Postby parkhead on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:22 am

ezekial wrote:
parkhead wrote:

The pups sound great and cutting through the mix just fine, also very good funky playing. What is missing for me here is the lack of sustain, which falls off a cliff and dies while bending and holding a note.

I didn't produce the shoot out a guy in L.A. did :

Donna used a rented hot rod deluxe provided in Germany

here's a better clip of the sustain in a les paul

as much as I am a fan of PRS guitars Donna's is a bolt on with trem, and the sustain available in a traditional les paul

outclasses the bolt on PRS guitars

the wrap around PRS have almost as much sustain as a les paul ... but not the full measure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gOI94R8ors

in direct comparisons with real PAF's the motor city PUP sustained just as long
though the harmonics on the fade out were different

P
parkhead
Baron

Postby The Pup on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:58 am

In my 40+ years of playing and collecting guitars, I have found bolt-on necks generally have greater sustain than set necks...and set necks generally have greater sustain than thru-necks. :shock:

...which probably means there is far more involved with regards to sustain than merely a particular guitar's neck joint method.
The Pup
Prince

Postby ezekial on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 am

parkhead wrote:
ezekial wrote:
parkhead wrote:

I didn't produce the shoot out a guy in L.A. did :

Donna used a rented hot rod deluxe provided in Germany

here's a better clip of the sustain in a les paul

as much as I am a fan of PRS guitars Donna's is a bolt on with trem, and the sustain available in a traditional les paul

outclasses the bolt on PRS guitars

the wrap around PRS have almost as much sustain as a les paul ... but not the full measure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gOI94R8ors

in direct comparisons with real PAF's the motor city PUP sustained just as long
though the harmonics on the fade out were different

P

The moaning, dry, woody note doesn’t want to stop in you’re example. I like the lead tone you achieve despite the interpretation I am hearing from the cam microphone and my pc speakers.

The sound of the rain which leaps down to the flower, and dances again in the rhythm of the shower. ~Poe~
ezekial
Squire

Postby parkhead on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:44 pm

The Pup wrote:In my 40+ years of playing and collecting guitars, I have found bolt-on necks generally have greater sustain than set necks...and set necks generally have greater sustain than thru-necks. :shock:

...which probably means there is far more involved with regards to sustain than merely a particular guitar's neck joint method.

lets just say I'm not a fan of the prs Trem Bridge ...
I have an early all cast one in a guitar with a Brazillian board and set neck

I'm even less of a fan of the bolt ons with the brass sustain block bridge

acoustic tone and sustain are still the foundation

p
parkhead
Baron

Postby The Pup on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:20 pm

parkhead wrote:
The Pup wrote:In my 40+ years of playing and collecting guitars, I have found bolt-on necks generally have greater sustain than set necks...and set necks generally have greater sustain than thru-necks. :shock:

lets just say I'm not a fan of the prs Trem Bridge ...
I have an early all cast one in a guitar with a Brazillian board and set neck

I'm even less of a fan of the bolt ons with the brass sustain block bridge

acoustic tone and sustain are still the foundation

p

When the market peaked, I sold my early PRS (like the one you described) for stupid $. The neck had a few (but significant) dead spots which drove me nuts. I later tried one of their "newer" models with the “exaggerated” neck heel and there were no dead spots and its sustain was more of what I would expect from a “premium” guitar. Both guitars had Brazilian boards; the early PRS had his hand-made tremolo, the newer with a wrap-around (with spot-on intonation). I have played quite a few PRS guitars over the years and I am really not a big fan...but this last one proved to be a keeper.

...a custom chambered artist (with Dragon II pickups which sound different than any pickup I have ever played...clear and defined but nothing like the old PAF pickups I have played…neither good-or-bad…just different):

The Pup
Prince

Postby CP 103 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:30 am

chupy wrote:Now you need to do a shoot out on P-90's. :lol:

That's what i say! Has anyone done one?
CP 103
Knight

Previous

Return to Signature Tones