Queen: Fat Bottom Girls - Getting close with what I've got

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Queen: Fat Bottom Girls - Getting close with what I've got

Postby Quig on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:11 pm

It's no biggie not getting it just right, but I'd appreciate a few pointers to get as close as I can, on settings, which pickups to use etc.
This is what I've got to work with: VOX AC15cc, a standard Strat or LP wP90s, ross compressor, bad monkey OD. I also have a Marshall Guvnor but I dont think it will work well for this..

I'm talking the main rythm guitar sound here :jam:
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

-Quote of a norwegian teenager from Utoya in an interview with CNN
Quig
Page

Re: Queen: Fat Bottom Girls - Getting close with what I've got

Postby Simon Wicks on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm

A treble boost may help....Brian May uses a treble booster to get a lot of his tones. They are a different beast to overdrive and distortion pedals. They work best on an amp already pushed into overdrive by upping the master volume.
Simon
Simon Wicks
Prince

Postby Zemaitis57 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:27 am

+1

Treble Boost makes all the difference... I used one with my Brian May Guitar and a 15 watt EL84 amp, with the amps volume up around half... once you try it, you'll know why treble boosters are the English Guitarist "secret weapon".
Life is too short to drink American beer. :-)
Zemaitis57
Page

Postby Britishampfan on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:36 am

He picks with a quarter so If you can`t do that get a heavy copper pick. I seen one performance where he had like 4 vox ac 30`s all running.

Hollowbody guild could`nt hurt either.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby Simon Wicks on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Plus, if you check the FX forum here you'll find plenty of build instructions for making your own treble booster. Should cost you about £20 :D
Simon
Simon Wicks
Prince

Postby parkhead on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 am

treble boost is the essential ingredient ...

el84ès help too

p
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Postby moritz on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 am

Do the unique pickups and pickup wiring on his 'Red Special' guitar have anything to do with it?
moritz
Squire

Postby Quig on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I'm definitely going to try the treble booster thingy some time, and I'm sure May's guitar has a lot of impact on his sound.
However, my initial question wasn't really how to replicate his tone, but what I should try with my current setup. I'm pretty happy with it, and I'm not about to make major changes for just one song. To be honest I was just lazy, and hoped not having to try out everything + reading up on Mays gear :mrgreen:

A bit related though: I had the impression treble boosts only did their magic when pushing an amp "over the top" so to speak, iow I have to be able to crank it, otherwise it's just gonna be uhm, trebly?

...damnit, now I wanna play my amp cranked again. :twisted: Poor neighbours.. :jam: :tantrum:
"If one man can show this much hate, think of how much love we can show together."

Quig
Page

Postby Superrevamp on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:44 pm

No, your AC15cc has a master volume doesn't it? The Ac30cc has, IIRC. You can use that for controlling the output volume of the amp, just put the amp into mild overdrive by turning up the preamp volume and let the treble booster do the rest.
Superrevamp
Peasant

Postby Quig on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:35 am

Superrevamp wrote:No, your AC15cc has a master volume doesn't it? The Ac30cc has, IIRC. You can use that for controlling the output volume of the amp, just put the amp into mild overdrive by turning up the preamp volume and let the treble booster do the rest.

:busted: :Doh: Gotta stop writing without thinking :mrgreen:

That being said, though: It's definitely best with master volume on full :jam:

Quig
Page

Re: Queen: Fat Bottom Girls - Getting close with what I've g

Postby TTQS on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 pm

An old thread now, but if anyone is looking to obtain Brian May signature tones, the best way is to pick up a Digitech Brian May Red Special pedal.

See this link for the instruction manual:

http://www.brianmay.com/library/DigiTec ... 06_1.0.pdf

They retail for anywhere between £125 and £250 depending on condition on eBay. I have one and can vouch for the authenticity of the tones available. I bought it primarily to get the two delay effect used on the Brighton Rock guitar solo. Works beautifully.

Doug
TTQS
Peasant

Return to Signature Tones