Tony Iommi__Orange or Laney?

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: Tommi Iommi__Orange or Laney?

Postby unclebobo on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:22 am

lkb23 wrote:
Roy33 wrote:
eroifdor wrote: he's played Laney since day one, mainly because they're made in his hometown. (and because they're incredible amps.)

He used Marshalls on the Dehumanizer tour in 1992. I remember the backline when I saw them.

he used Marshalls on the original H&H and Mob Rules tours as well

perhaps it was a Dio thing ? Cuz Tony switched to Boogies when Ian Gillian joined the band

But yeah ... Tony Iommi used Laneys during both Ozzy eras (and the gnu Dio era)
How many is too many?
unclebobo
Baron

Postby Sterling # Sound on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Oranges were only used for the German Hamburg shows as a backline, provided by the venue. So many videos exist of this, it has launched many false rumours. The only other time about Tony using Oranges was for recording (part of) Master of Reality - could by myth too. Laneys were used consistently between 1968-1978.
Sterling # Sound
Knight

Postby Britishampfan on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 pm

I have him playing Orange.Marshall, and Laney.

Orange`s on this video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uryWJ1T1q4

Marshall`s on this early stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83XtOUpQTf8

Marshall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYZrcfSEViA

1968 Marshall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFNBDmdDdo

1970 Laney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGlTTiJums

1970 Laney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuI8d57N9I

Most guy`s play blues with a fuzzface and a Marshall.....all I get is this sound, I might as well work with it.
Last edited by Britishampfan on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby eroifdor on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:56 pm

I love how they get down on blue suede shoes and black sabbath from those beat club shows. They really captured the bands sound to a T. I don't know what happened with the paranoid & iron man beat club sound they still rock its just not as electric as the other footage. I have seen a still shot from them performing NIB on the beat club on sabbathlive.com
eroifdor
Peasant

Postby Noel on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Would the Laney cabs be loaded with Fanes or Goodmans, 30H's or ????
U.S. Laney and Orange cabs of course had those square mag Eminences in them. Back in the day, we never saw many Fanes other than the occasional Hiwatt cab. The '74 Orange I have now originally had those Emi's in it.
This is an interesting post. I had been wondering about those Orange/Iommi videos too.
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Postby Thermionik on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:29 pm

Well - funny you should ask - I picked up a large black 4x12 loaded with 70's Fanes from a midlands repair shop. The owner had left it there and taken a replacement because two of the speakers were trashed (cones and coils parted company). I bought it for next to nothing and swapped the two dead Fanes for a pair of old late 70's Goodmans (lovely balanced sound from the 4 now.....) but here's the thing.

The word 'Iommi' was scrawled inside in felt-tip on the back panel.

Why bother to do it on the inside, and sell it without mentioning it. Who knows, just maybe.....
String driven things and thermionics.....
humble offerings for your amusement YouTube and SoundCloud
Thermionik
Knight

Postby Sterling # Sound on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 am

Thermionik wrote:Well - funny you should ask - I picked up a large black 4x12 loaded with 70's Fanes from a midlands repair shop. The owner had left it there and taken a replacement because two of the speakers were trashed (cones and coils parted company). I bought it for next to nothing and swapped the two dead Fanes for a pair of old late 70's Goodmans (lovely balanced sound from the 4 now.....) but here's the thing.

The word 'Iommi' was scrawled inside in felt-tip on the back panel.

Why bother to do it on the inside, and sell it without mentioning it. Who knows, just maybe.....

Cool! Considering you bought it in the Midlands... why couldn't it be owned by Iommi? Seems like a very natural thing since he must have been Laney's biggest customer - he used cabs from 1969 through to 1979 so I am sure he has wrecked his share of speakers.

The Fanes were Iommi's speakers I think. The Goodmans are a little more middy, but the Fanes have that characteristic sound. I think he did put in JBLs in 1975 and onwards (sounded terrible I think).
Sterling # Sound
Knight

Postby tubesurfer6 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:40 am

Thermionik 8) 8) 8)

I get goosebumps from watching the War pigs clip from 1970. When the end of the world comes that would be a nice song to go with it. :mrgreen:
tubesurfer6
Certified

Postby Orange120OD on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:12 am

Would the Laney cabs be loaded with Fanes or Goodmans, 30H's or ????
U.S. Laney and Orange cabs of course had those square mag Eminences in them. Back in the day, we never saw many Fanes other than the occasional Hiwatt cab. The '74 Orange I have now originally had those Emi's in it.
This is an interesting post. I had been wondering about those Orange/Iommi videos too.
I have two late 60's Laney cabs and both are loaded with Goodmans. Didn't think they used anything other then those and Celestions but I could be wrong.... :?:
Orange120OD
Squire

Postby eroifdor on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Totally off topic but this has been posted on youtube Earth "Black Sabbath" the rebel full song finally released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJubVEPOUp8
eroifdor
Peasant

Postby Orange120OD on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Man that song is freakin cool! Sabbath was the band that brought me to the dark side of rock! :twisted:
Orange120OD
Squire

Re: Tony Iommi__Orange or Laney?

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:11 pm

I saw Sabbath every time they came thru Philadelphia in the Seventies, and every time those Laneys were stacked up crankin' out the wall o' sound. On the Sabotage tour there were 4 Ampeg SVT heads piled up next to the 4-12 cabs with the Laneys on top. The tour program, of all things, stated they were being used because of problems with the Laneys due to voltage/transformer problems.
I didn't go to the shows after Ozzy left so can't say for sure about any dates 'till the reunion tour, which saw him using Marshalls, if memory serves me right. There is no doubt about the Laneys in the seventies though, cause I went crazy trying to find out what the hups they were, never saw one near my area until they made the AOR series. Hope this info is helpful, and long live Sabbath!
Jake :thumbsup:
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby Big_Stu on Thu May 21, 2009 11:14 am

I have a TI i'view from about 8 years ago, where he says he stopped using Laneys briefly in the early 70's because they kept blowing up (& joked about their volume doing it). He said Laney were very good in their after-sales & replaced them immediately, but they weren't reliable enough, so he stopped using them until they sorted it out, they did so & he'd been with Laney ever-since.
Though it was the same time of Beat Club's Oranges, that was just coincidence, Orange was the house backline there.
Big_Stu
Squire

Postby Sterling # Sound on Thu May 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Big_Stu wrote:I have a TI i'view from about 8 years ago, where he says he stopped using Laneys briefly in the early 70's because they kept blowing up (& joked about their volume doing it). He said Laney were very good in their after-sales & replaced them immediately, but they weren't reliable enough, so he stopped using them until they sorted it out, they did so & he'd been with Laney ever-since.
Though it was the same time of Beat Club's Oranges, that was just coincidence, Orange was the house backline there.

Can you pm me with a link to the interview? I collect that kind of TI stuff! Thanks!
Sterling # Sound
Knight

Postby Big_Stu on Fri May 22, 2009 5:01 am

It was in a guitar magazine that I had at the time, may still have it but don't hold your breathe. AFAIK it's not online. :(
Big_Stu
Squire

PreviousNext

Return to Signature Tones