Tony Iommi__Orange or Laney?

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Tony Iommi__Orange or Laney?

Postby ValveLust on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:10 pm

All the videos and pics I've seen of Tony Iommi he's playing through Orange. When I read about the Laney Supergroup and Klipps they always mention that they were his favorite. So what's the REAL story? :think_1:

oops it's Tony... not Tommi
Last edited by ValveLust on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ValveLust
Squire

Re: Tommi Iommi__Orange or Laney?

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:19 pm

ValveLust wrote:All the videos and pics I've seen of Tommi Iommi he's playing through Orange. When I read about the Laney Supergroup and Klipps they always mention that they were his favorite. So what's the REAL story? :think_1:

Laney Supergroup my friend.
The Orange were ususally backline amps provided by whoever, that was popular in England.
You will see that with a few bands of that era. :wink:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby christco on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Roy Boltz wrote:
ValveLust wrote:All the videos and pics I've seen of Tommi Iommi he's playing through Orange. When I read about the Laney Supergroup and Klipps they always mention that they were his favorite. So what's the REAL story? :think_1:

The Orange were ususally backline amps provided by whoever, that was popular in England.

As far as I know, the reason you see so many bands playing Oranges in those old "music videos" is that the German show "Beat Club" (sort of the German version of Top of the Pops) used an Orange backline. If you played on Beat Club, you used your guitar and the Oranges they provided, and most of the big rock bands of the day played Beat Club, so there you have it. To my knowledge, Iommi never used Orange, with that exception. That being said, you can get a good Sabbath tone out of an Orange.
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo!
christco
Baron

Location: Allen Park, MI, home of the Detroit Lions, where the NFL draft is our Super Bowl!

Postby Roy Boltz on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:19 pm

christco wrote:
Roy Boltz wrote:

As far as I know, the reason you see so many bands playing Oranges in those old "music videos" is that the German show "Beat Club" (sort of the German version of Top of the Pops) used an Orange backline. If you played on Beat Club, you used your guitar and the Oranges they provided, and most of the big rock bands of the day played Beat Club, so there you have it. To my knowledge, Iommi never used Orange, with that exception. That being said, you can get a good Sabbath tone out of an Orange.

You are probably right, I assumed England, I stand corrected. :wink:
Roy Boltz
King

Postby jimmycupo on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:51 pm

laneys!! try to find an old plexi laney and use a good rangemaster clone!! the orange amps arefrom that one show where the video is from like posted above!
IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL
jimmycupo
Peasant

Postby eroifdor on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 pm

There was an laney iommi sig head on ebay a couple months ago i would like to hear one of those. I think the heaven & hell reunion tour guitar tone is amazing. IOMMI!!!! :score010:
eroifdor
Peasant

Postby Simon Wicks on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:35 pm

christico is correct...Free used that backline as did Muddy Waters and Johnny Winter and many others :wink:
Simon
Simon Wicks
Prince

Postby Roy33 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:39 am

eroifdor wrote:There was an laney iommi sig head on ebay a couple months ago i would like to hear one of those. I think the heaven & heck reunion tour guitar tone is amazing. IOMMI!!!! :score010:

you're so right about that Heaven and Helsinki tour, his tone is killer. i bought the live DVD from 2007 a few months ago and it's one of my faves.
I used to think Dio was cheesey, no more, I worship the guy now. and Vinnie Appice and Geezer Butler c'mon, godlike.
I read somewhere that Iommi's new Laneys have a built in Rangemaster circuit?
I've seen pics of his pedal board with an original Rangemaster on it.
he's played Laney since day one, mainly because they're made in his hometown. (and because they're incredible amps.)
Roy33
Knight

Postby Roy33 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:44 am

you've got to be kidding me, the word H E L L is consored on this forum ?
since when is that a word worthy of censorship ?
Roy33
Knight

Postby christco on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:43 am

Roy33 wrote:you've got to be kidding me, the word H E L L is consored on this forum ?
since when is that a word worthy of censorship ?

That surprises you? This board replaces s#cks with sucks...if that isn't ridiculous, I don't know what is.
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo!
christco
Baron

Location: Allen Park, MI, home of the Detroit Lions, where the NFL draft is our Super Bowl!

Postby lkb23 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Roy33 wrote:
eroifdor wrote: he's played Laney since day one, mainly because they're made in his hometown. (and because they're incredible amps.)

He used Marshalls on the Dehumanizer tour in 1992. I remember the backline when I saw them.
www.myspace.com/brandnewgods
www.myspace.com/levkalman

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
my manifestation and guide
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Postby Roy33 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 pm

lkb23 wrote:
Roy33 wrote:
eroifdor wrote: he's played Laney since day one, mainly because they're made in his hometown. (and because they're incredible amps.)

He used Marshalls on the Dehumanizer tour in 1992. I remember the backline when I saw them.

my mistake then, Iommi is a Marshall man.
Roy33
Knight

Postby jimmycupo on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 am

no tony is a laney guy!!
IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL
jimmycupo
Peasant

Postby plexi69 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I saw Sabbath in the early 70's when they first released Masters of Reality, in Long Beach CA. The entire back was all Orange. Good show!
HEY THERE, HI THERE, HO THERE!
plexi69
Page

Postby ValveLust on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:53 pm

Interesting....................................... :think_1:
ValveLust
Squire

Next

Return to Signature Tones