David Gilmour's 'Animals' era tone.

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

David Gilmour's 'Animals' era tone.

Postby Met_K on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:08 am

I've been giving all of my bootlegs from '77 a once-over again and it struck me how underrated David's tone is from this era - as is his playing. It's phenomenal beyond belief. I can't think of a single other guitarist outside of Pete Townshend who could make a Hiwatt literally scream like this - and to think it's outside the norm for Gilmour's style and tone.

Animals' studio tone has always been my favorite - I guess that makes me an outsider - as I feel Gilmour pushed himself harder during those sessions than many guitarists ever have. His solos were the most intense he ever wrote (and has ever written, in my book), his tone was acid, his phrasing perfect - wow! Even older tunes have more bite live during this tour - tone-wise and the way in which they're played. Maybe it was the aggressive nature of the tunes off Animals, or the tension between Gilmour and Waters. I'm not sure. I'd like to think that awesome Tele he wielded during this period has something to do with it. ;)

No questions or anything of the sort here. Just pure, unadulterated praise for one of the most incredible tones I've ever heard. Sound off, gents. :D
Closed for Inventory
Met_K
Knight

Postby beanbags on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Funny I should see this post! Just the other day I pulled out the Animals CD for the first time in many years and have been listening to it in the car. Not that I didn't always have high regards for it, but, dang! I can't stop listening to it! Sheep has always one of my top 5 PF songs. :cheers: :score010:
beanbags
Squire

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:37 pm

Animals was always my personal favorite of Floyd's work.

For those who remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb-gdaHkbmM
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Emiel_J on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Gilmour's sound on the Animals elpee and live shows are my favourite as well. It's so agressive, raw, powerful. And it's 'just' with a Strat (or Tele)!

Fairly easy to get too :lol:

Strat with Dimarzio FS-1 in bridge -> Electro Harmonix Ram's Head Big Muff -> Colorsound Power Boost -> Electro Harmonix non-Deluxe Electric Mistress -> MXR Delay -> Hiwatt DR103 -> 4x12 cabinet with Fanes.
Emiel_J
Court Jester

Postby Gibsonsg on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:45 pm

+1. I've been spinning Animals a lot lately...probably my favorite PF album. I love that scene from WKRP.....classic.
Gibsonsg
Squire

Postby sixty2strat#$% on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:51 pm

great album, his rhythm guitar is great too, very off kilter.

funny the other night PBS had a film on mary whithouse ( haa ha chrade you were) the used a sectiopn from pigs 3 different ones. Think it is th ONLY time i can remeber seeing the floyd used in a film beside the Dr fever bit.....no nike commerials for these guys
sixty2strat#$%
Page

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:04 am

I can remember One of These Days being used in a documentary about rocket engineering, but I don't remember the name of the film.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby Frails on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:39 pm

The rotating speaker was used pretty heavily also. Check out the boot from the last show of this tour, in Montreal. I've been trying to get that killer choked tone in Shine On solo #2 ever since. Animals is probably the best use of a Mistress IMO.
Frails
Certified

Postby lyman on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:36 pm

on the studio recording, i think i hear some fender twin somewhere....
lyman
Certified

Postby jcs on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:29 am

sheesh, i've been searching for the perfect vinyl copy of 'animals',the cd is pretty good but years ago i had a superb early pressing of 'animals'..

anyhow, i agree this is a great period for david and i need to listen to boots of the 'animals' tour..i had friends who attended and of course they were completely blown away by this tour...
jcs
King

Postby Quig on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:41 pm

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=18

Lot's of info here, seems pretty thorough. 8) Especially the separate piece about the pedal board is interesting.
Quig
Page

Postby RocknTommy on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Every groove on this album is fantastic.
Have the CD but sounds a little thin compared to the vinyl.
Would love to find boots from this tour.
Ampeg V4
Ampeg VT-22 (sold)
Ampeg VT-40
Sunn T50-C
Fender Pro 185
Love Pedal 1/2 watt
Peavey Heritage
Epiphone Valve Jr
RocknTommy
Certified

Postby jmp2204 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 am

I've been listening to it a lot lately, as well. A friend gave me a clean vinyl copy of it and it blew away the CD. I have also been listening to the Animal Instinct boot from 1977 and that rocks too. I downloaded it then recognized it from the LP set I got in school. I'd love to find more from that era, too.
jon
Could you repeat that?
jmp2204
Squire

Postby jcs on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:21 am

oddly enough you find 'animals' NOT at the top of many pink floyd listeners at the audiophile forums..

production wise,i can see why with the just okay versions on cd,same with 'the wall' the best vinyl versions are big warm and thick compared to the cd versions.

otoh, out of several vinyl and cd versions of 'dark side of the moon' i prefer the cd versions i have, go figure :roll:

one of the best vinyl versions of 'the dark side of the moon' is the quad uk release which brings way in the hundreds of dollars online..
jcs
King

Postby Frails on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm

RocknTommy wrote:Every groove on this album is fantastic.
Have the CD but sounds a little thin compared to the vinyl.
Would love to find boots from this tour.

This is where I get mine...

http://www.pinkfloyd.ws/
and
floydtube.com
Frails
Certified

Next

Return to Signature Tones