and now..MOST OVERrated gtrsts of all time!

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Postby Banker on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:16 pm

IMHO, anybody who doesn't like Stevie just isn't listening..........at least with their ears.
When only pinstripe will do.
Banker
Squire

Postby RickJL on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:55 am

I didn't say I didn't like it. And I am listening with my ears (what else?) Just don't see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps my ears are jaded from hearing that style of playing too much.
RickJL
Squire

Postby ragtweed on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:26 pm

Esteban sux, I'd rather see Estelle Geddy bare-assed than suffer through his crap.
I got my mojo workin'
ragtweed
Squire

Postby classalpha on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:19 pm

mrbeasty wrote:
Esteban -

... a dark-haired, classical guitar-wielding "Fabio" for bored MILFs . :D
classalpha
Squire

Postby Axe Grinder on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:38 am

mrbeasty wrote:
RickJL wrote:Anyone mention Stevie Ray yet?

I'm w/ you ... I don't get it either. I got the two best of CDs and it sounds like the same four/five licks over and over.
Maybe I'll get it eventually?

Kirk Hammett is aweful. I used to worship him when I was 16, since I got ears, I can't stand his tone or his phrasing.

Eric Johnson - boring playing & boring tone.

Dave Navaro - good looking guy, what else?

John 5 - did a few cool htings w/ Manson and DLR. His solo albums are pure crap. He plays country licks over one chord and a single drum loop while wearing make-up, how is that musically innovative?

Esteban - Zorro w/o the horse and the cool sword fighting and stealing money from little kids and silly parents.

Most modern bands have dull guitar players: Avenged 7 folds, etc ...

BTW- I want to be over-rated too!!
I have to agree. I read about Eric Johnson in the December 1982 GP;
Years later I listened to the CD with Cliffs of Dover on it. I really wanted to like. I really was not impressed with the emotional content, melodies, or tone. Good player, somewhat unique, but no inspiration generated.
Axe Grinder
Knight

Postby Anchorman on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:24 pm

I had to check Kirk Hammet out, and yeah, you're right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw&feature=related
Anchorman
Certified

Postby B-Squared on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:35 pm

RickJL wrote:Image

I don't think I've seen anyone work that hard to finger a C chord. :D

BB
I use Punky McGoo's pickups...and Grundy MacTavich's electronics in my guitars. :D
I also use some Bardledoo caps, and like what I hear. ;)
B-Squared
Duke

Postby Bman@work on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Zat ez Pashion my amigo!!

When Senor Esteban plays, ze ladies become....how do you say......ah jes........wet!!

Legend has it than when El Esteban plays Chuck Norris cries.
Bman@work
Certified

Postby conchmariner on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Anchorman wrote:I had to check Kirk Hammet out, and yeah, you're right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw&feature=related

So he took a while to get a riff down. Happens to most of us.
conchmariner
Squire

Postby conchmariner on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:43 pm

Axe Grinder wrote:I have to agree. I read about Eric Johnson in the December 1982 GP;
Years later I listened to the CD with Cliffs of Dover on it. I really wanted to like. I really was not impressed with the emotional content, melodies, or tone. Good player, somewhat unique, but no inspiration generated.

Man I don't know about this. Yeah, his singing's pretty mediocre, but the guy can really play. If you don't like his tunes, well I can understand that, and sometimes he does go overboard with that violin type sound, but Ah Via Musicom was a pretty diverse collection of styles. My favorite by far was Steve's Boogie where he was just playing a tele straight into a Twin Reverb with light delay.

He's not my favorite player, but I wouldn't call him overrated.
conchmariner
Squire

Postby mxvin on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:27 pm

wow.....all these guitarists who have been mentioned are excellent players. They have worked to get where they are at. They don't overate themselves.....its the hype by the music industry.

Who isn't overated??? Some obscure guy you have never heard of???

One of my friends is a probably one of the best keyboard players I have ever seen/heard. His commmand of the instument and its music is effortless. He also is an oustanding Hammond player. He could step in as a proffessional musician in any studio or band IMO. As he plays for fun he is not a professional and has chosen other work for his career. He is but one of a million of similar examples I'm sure. To say these guys who have become popular because of their, band, music, and/ or playing are overated and some of you say they down right suc* is pretty pathetic IMO.
They are what they are. Various tastes, styles, and abilities.

this thread reeks of "sour grapes" more than anyhting else!
mxvin
Certified

Postby ahzroc on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:11 pm

mxvin wrote:wow.....all these guitarists who have been mentioned are excellent players. They have worked to get where they are at. They don't overate themselves.....its the hype by the music industry.

One of my friends is a probably one of the best keyboard players I have ever seen/heard. His commmand of the instument and its music is effortless. He also is an oustanding Hammond player. He could step in as a proffessional musician in any studio or band IMO. As he plays for fun he is not a professional and has chosen other work for his career. He is but one of a million of similar examples I'm sure. To say these guys who have become popular because of their, band, music, and/ or playing are overated and some of you say they down right suc* is pretty pathetic IMO.

Agree!
How about making a distinction here:
“OVER-RATED”- -this guy is recognized as a TOP guitarist… and I say he simply is NOT a top player, or even a good one..
Vs.
“Not my favorite flavor” –
(i.e. – for me , I can “Hear” the talent in most EVH recordings, but it isn’t my taste…he’s obviously talented, but I don’t own anything he’s done- it’s not my favorite flavor)
ahzroc
Page

Postby Axe Grinder on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:42 am

mxvin wrote:wow.....all these guitarists who have been mentioned are excellent players. They have worked to get where they are at. They don't overate themselves.....its the hype by the music industry.

I don't know, Kermit rates himself pretty high; he's quite arrogant for a Wha pedal addict. :wink:
Axe Grinder
Knight

Postby thucydides on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:38 pm

greengod wrote:Bashing Page? This doesn't make any sense because he's one of the greats, for his soul and emotional power. Bashing Clapton? I didn't want to do that and maybe I was misunderstood. Clapton was and still is one of my heroes: his signature licks were my textbook for years but it's fair to admit that after Layla he was more into songwriting than into "maestro bs" (Eric used these exact words in an interview with a GP journalist). He didn't want to continue as a guitar hero; he decided to be a complete performer, a singer, songwriter, bandleader, guitarist. Furthermore IMHO a part of his fire has gone through the years. Said that I still have an enormous respect for him and what he's doing nowadays.

Good point re Clapton. As far as the "fire", I think it is natural for a person's perspectibe to mellow w/age, and I can't fault him or anyone else for that!

Now, that wanker in Poison (CC De Ville)... :sleepy:
thucydides
Page

Postby mayrandp on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:49 pm

thucydides wrote:As far as the "fire", I think it is natural for a person's perspectibe to mellow w/age, and I can't fault him or anyone else for that!

I don't buy that. Look at jazzmans or classical musicians. There's plenty of old players who are still on top of their game and many of them are playing with even more fire than when they were young. That said, everybody has the right to EVOLVE, for better or worse depending on your perception...
mayrandp
Court Jester

PreviousNext

Return to Signature Tones