and now..MOST OVERrated gtrsts of all time!

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Re: and now..MOST OVERrated gtrsts of all time!

Postby javamagic on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Sorry for resurrecting a long running thread but...

I have to agree with those who mentioned the latest blues "wunderkind" who the mags think have the sun shining out of their a***. As rightly pointed out, they may have the technique but no feeling. Usually old cliched licks, robbed from generations of BB King (who's not the world's greatest guitarist either) copyists, with a jazzy phrase or two thrown in to make you think they're really slick and original. You all know who they are - even if some of them are now approaching middle age!

Same goes for Carlos Santana. That man can ruin any song with his pointless noodling. (I may make exception for the first couple of Santana albums where it was more of a band than an ego trip.)

Also include any other players (whatever form of music) where speed/technique/ego take precedence over what the song actually needs.

In summary, what's lacking in most guitarists is a lack of taste and sensitivity. Even as a guitarist I hate solos because they're usually self-indulgent shite. Play nothing more than necessary is my motto. Listen to Tony Hicks of the Hollies or Johnny Marr for examples of quality and brevity. If you can't do it in eight bars don't bother. :D
javamagic
Court Jester

Postby mAx___ on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 pm

If this thread was a poll I think John Mayer would win it by landslide...
mAx___
Certified

Postby Clanger on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:29 pm

javamagic wrote:
Same goes for Carlos Santana. That man can ruin any song with his pointless noodling. (I may make exception for the first couple of Santana albums where it was more of a band than an ego trip.)

I know where you're coming from, some of his trademarks are now a bit too familiar. However back in the day he was a revolutionary breath of fresh air, and I'm afraid it's fresh kippers at twenty paces for you and me if you're going to disrespect 'Caravanserai'
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby Strat59 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:22 am

Carlos back in the day on his S.G. :thumbsup: Today with all the I listen to what the trees , and the earth tell me ? :roll:

Slash ....... What Tha !!! any kid could do what he does.

And all those in the More is More camp. Less is More :thumbsup:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Previous

Return to Signature Tones