Randys Zeus pedal

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Randys Zeus pedal

Postby skippy on Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:25 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Zeus pedal that Randy Rhoads used wiyh Ozzy????????? :confused:
skippy
Certified

Re: Randys Zeus pedal

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:42 pm

Hey Skippy,
Carlos Cavazo from Quiet Riot also used one (i've got the old hotlicks audio tape). I acutally saw one on ebay about a month ago! I considered buying it just for something to fiddle with--not sure of the final price, though. Keep your eyes open, check ebay and harmony central classifieds--you may want to post a "looking for" in the want ads at HC.
"The Little Amp Builder" who "Big Brother" V*x / K*RG thought needed to be "Policed"

"Big Brother is Watching You"
George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby skippy on Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info""""""""""""" :)
skippy
Certified

Postby xfmrman on Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:49 pm

Skippy- Actually Randy Rhodes and Rudy Szarzo had access to and used several different Zeus devices. Randy had an intermittent on/off foot switch, a phase shifter, a mini amp, a gain cell, and a direct box. He also was given a cool set up with the most of these items plus a built in drum machine. It fit into a small Casio keyboard case. This case allowed him to practice virtually anywhere with or without AC power.

Rudy Szarzo had a Zeus direct box and a device called a "Bass Boost".
xfmrman
Peasant

Postby outlier on Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:31 am

I have the Preamp pedal. It's a black boxy thing made of extruded anodyzed aluminum with plastic caps on the ends. Has a Gain and a Tone knob.

I used to have the Overdrive/Distortion many moons ago, but sold as I was more enamored of the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal at the time.
outlier
Baron

Postby outtahear on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:44 am

guys

i worked with the guy who designed and built the Zeus Mini Amp (I also designed the logo). I can tell you a lot about the amp and what it needs to "see" in terms of power, but don't have the time.

Randy indeed had a custom-built 'pedal' as described. The amp wa also used by members of Heart, Frank Zappa, and Black 'n' Blue, among other local celebs.

PLease post any more questions as I can answer more than a few, besides telling a few 'war stories'. The Zeus 8401 was an innovation in its day (and may be making a comeback).

Rock on.

Bob
ONE NATION, UNDERGROUND
outtahear
Page

Postby unclebobo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:01 pm

How many is too many?
unclebobo
Baron

Postby unclebobo on Mon May 11, 2009 2:34 pm

ummm ... rule B ?

b. NO auctions, trades, or sales of any kind (including "Want to Buy" and "What is It Worth?" ads) may be posted by members with less than 100 posts.

I understand that you want to maximize your exposure for your Dead Rock Star piece, but I'm sure enough people already see eBay
How many is too many?
unclebobo
Baron

Postby jimmycupo on Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am

It should be noted that the Randy Rhoads Zeus 840 amp on Ebay isn't really your's to be selling!! you got lucky and had a chance to play around with it for awhile,so now do the RIGHT thing and give it to Mrs Rhoads! yes the $$ is tempting,but if you are a true fan like you say you are,then you know it belongs with the rest of his stuff/gear with his family! i know for a fact they are extremely upset over this and his mom is getting up thee in age. how would you feel if it was your mom!?? haven't you any shame?
IT'S ONLY ROCK & ROLL
jimmycupo
Peasant

Postby Michael Patrick on Tue May 12, 2009 12:19 am

unclebobo wrote:ummm ... rule B ?

b. NO auctions, trades, or sales of any kind (including "Want to Buy" and "What is It Worth?" ads) may be posted by members with less than 100 posts.

I understand that you want to maximize your exposure for your Dead Rock Star piece, but I'm sure enough people already see eBay

Persistent little bugger, wasn't he? :POd:
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby Britishampfan on Tue May 12, 2009 5:49 am

jimmycupo wrote:It should be noted that the Randy Rhoads Zeus 840 amp on Ebay isn't really your's to be selling!! you got lucky and had a chance to play around with it for awhile,so now do the RIGHT thing and give it to Mrs Rhoads! yes the $$ is tempting,but if you are a true fan like you say you are,then you know it belongs with the rest of his stuff/gear with his family! i know for a fact they are extremely upset over this and his mom is getting up thee in age. how would you feel if it was your mom!?? haven't you any shame?

If I had real money I`d buy it and give it to the family first or the Smithsonian. Randy is a heavy metal hero in my book. A Legend

Thanks for pulling the offensive posts MP.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

IMHO

Postby Axe Grinder on Wed May 13, 2009 11:02 am

I have read every article and interview; & have yet to see it proven that he used one.
Of course if you listen to the last Bootlegs of the Diary Tour; eg, Milwuakee, Minneapolis, & Chicago...the Tone is very different from Tribute...and IMHO even more Solid State Processed, so If that is it's sound, you can have the pedal. :x
I see that has a tiny speaker, so he may of used it like a Rockman without having to have
headphones...but I doubt he used it in his Signal Chain. :thumbsup:

BOSS XTORTION PEDAL DISTORTION XT-2 will get you close.

Listen to this.

http://www.eternalrandyrhoads.com/audio ... y_EP_tape/
Last edited by Axe Grinder on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Axe Grinder
Knight

Postby Cyranobob on Mon May 18, 2009 5:38 am

I believe this thread is about the Zeus 8401 Min-Amp used by Randy Rhoads back in the early 80's, and on the Ozzy tour where he met his untimely end. If so, let me say that YES he had a Zeus 8401. It was built into a practice/pedal board (along with a drum machine, effects devices and a headphone jack), and it was given to him by the guys at Zeus who built it themselves and I (being the Zeus graphic artist) personally made an RR nameplate for Randy out of brass and put it on that thing myself. A little more info to clear the record: the Zeus mini-amp was not an effect, it was a genuine little practice amplifier built into an aluminum shell, and several hundred of them were made and sold. Lots of rockers had them in the day, and if you got hold of a good one, it literally screamed and gave great tone, and it could indeed power a Marshal 4x12. I have one downstairs right now, matter of fact. Beat up, road worn, still works. (unfortunately not one of the 'hot' sounding ones, but still very cool). As far as Randy having one or not, that's ridiculous - of course he did. Everybody had one or wanted one back then, and Zeus sold them as fast as they could make them, along with several other tone-enhancing devices and effects. In the end, we just couldn't compete with the production capabilities of DOD and Boss, so down we went. Good times, though, good times. - Cyranobob (Burbank CA)
Cyranobob
Peasant

Postby Cyranobob on Tue May 19, 2009 2:07 am

jimmycupo wrote:It should be noted that the Randy Rhoads Zeus 840 amp on Ebay isn't really your's to be selling!! you got lucky and had a chance to play around with it for awhile,so now do the RIGHT thing and give it to Mrs Rhoads! yes the $$ is tempting,but if you are a true fan like you say you are,then you know it belongs with the rest of his stuff/gear with his family! i know for a fact they are extremely upset over this and his mom is getting up thee in age. how would you feel if it was your mom!?? haven't you any shame?

Hopefully to clear up any confusion about what the 8401 was and who had one, etc., I'll repost this in response to your statement, as I'm not sure we're talking about the same things. I am also attaching a photo of MY mini-amp which I took just yesterday:

I believe this thread is about the Zeus 8401 Min-Amp used by Randy Rhoads back in the early 80's, and on the Ozzy tour where he met his untimely end. If so, let me say that YES he had a Zeus 8401. It was built into a practice/pedal board (along with a drum machine, effects devices and a headphone jack), and it was given to him by the guys at Zeus who built it themselves and I (being the Zeus graphic artist) personally made an RR nameplate for Randy out of brass and put it on that thing myself. A little more info to clear the record: the Zeus mini-amp was not an effect, it was a genuine little practice amplifier built into an aluminum shell, and several hundred of them were made and sold. Lots of rockers had them in the day, and if you got hold of a good one, it literally screamed and gave great tone, and it could indeed power a Marshal 4x12. I have one downstairs right now, matter of fact. Beat up, road worn, still works. (unfortunately not one of the 'hot' sounding ones, but still very cool). As far as Randy having one or not, that's ridiculous - of course he did. Everybody had one or wanted one back then, and Zeus sold them as fast as they could make them, along with several other tone-enhancing devices and effects. In the end, we just couldn't compete with the production capabilities of DOD and Boss, so down we went. Good times, though, good times. - Cyranobob (Burbank CA)
Attachments
8401_mini-adptr.jpg
Zeus 8401 mini-amp w/adaptor (batteries not included)
Cyranobob
Peasant

Re: Boss X-tortion pedal

Postby Axe Grinder on Tue May 19, 2009 7:31 am

Yeah right........Whatever :thumbsup:

Get a used Red Boss X-tortion pedal...has a stuck wha sound ..plus you can get a metallic lead sound. :cheers:
BOSS XTORTION PEDAL DISTORTION XT-2

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=83921
Last edited by Axe Grinder on Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Axe Grinder
Knight

Next

Return to Signature Tones