Terry Kath's Gear?

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Terry Kath's Gear?

Postby Demo on Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:26 pm

I've been listening to some old Chicago stuff lately (like "25 or 6 to 4"), and I know there are a million threads about what an under rated guitarist he was (Hendrix and I agree), but I can't remember his gear.<P>I never saw them live back then (end of 60's/beginning of 70's), but I've seen footage (I can't remember where - probably Behind the Music or memories from Don Kirshner's "Rock Concert").<P>I'm remembering Terry Kath playing a cream color Tele, and (I think) a red SG with hubuckers (late 60's "Standard"), but I can't remember his amps?<P>Another question. Because I know crap about efx pedals what instrument, amp, efx, etc., do YOU hear on the guitar solo on "25 or 6 to 4?" <P>And 80% of the guys out there are going, "Don WHO'S rock WHAT?" If you are old enough to remember that show, stop saving your vintage gear and gig with it. Use it while you can, with whatever time you have left!<P>Smith & Wesson, by the way is NOT the right answer (I KNEW it was coming - WOODY). I heard one of the guys that was there describe what happened (that WAS on Behingd the Music), and aside from horrifically bad judgment (cocaine and alcohol), it was just an accident. <P>Like so many others, I really wish THAT one didn't happen. Except for Terry, Ithink all of the original members (Chicago) are still around.
I'm not from this planet.
Demo
Squire

Re: Terry Kath's Gear?

Postby Woody on Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:34 pm

It was the "hubuckers" that did it!
Woody

"More Marshall's"
Woody
Prince

Location: SFO MCO BOS YEG LAX WAS SEA MUC LAS CPR YVR SMF ATL DFW BIL ANC MIA ACV GEG SJC YYC SJD MFR RNO DEN

Postby Michael Patrick on Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:41 pm

I remember seeing pictures of him using Sound City heads and bottoms. But since I'm old enough to have watched "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" when it was first broadcast, my memory may be on the downslide to Alzheimers...<P>There were a lot of great groups on that dude's show, BTW. Whoever has the original tapes is sitting on a goldmine. I remember seeing Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Black Oak Arkansas on that show, in their prime!
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby Highwaystar on Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:57 pm

I remember him using a Bogen pa tube amp.<BR>I still keep an eye out for them because of that.<P>Michael, I'm waiting for that day also. I've been looking for the Nugent,Cheap Trick, AC/DC show.
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Postby jcs on Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:01 am

my cousin is a major chicago fan and i was raisd around the early stuff....a paul or sg with those recording pickups and yes the bogen pa amp(knight)...i have a very old guitar player somewhere with terry on the cover....you have to hear the 1st 5 or 6 albums to see why terry was so groundbreaking.....terry was a great singer as well..... i think terry used fender amps in the studio with several effects(wah and others).with a band like chicago carrying much of the rhythm,terry was allowed to solo a lot at times and he could get WAYYY out there!!! this is the kath that hendrix saw and it blew hendrix away,totally!!! as a matter of fact in the very late 69 or early 70 period when hendrix was starting to struggle,chicago was inspiring to jimi...he loved the horns and all of the interplay between the musicians,according to some of the members of chicago i read somewhere...... jcs :cool:
jcs
King

Postby Demo on Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:06 am

You're right. Those were all killer acts in their prime. Sometimes you can find some of that stuff on cable around here, if you've got the 500 channel version (which my buddy does).<P>It freaks me out that his kids (ages 13-22) catch classic vintage R&R footage on TV ("Gimme Shelter," for instance) with me sometimes, and despite the age disparity, they recognize it. The get off on it as much as we (I) did when I was their age. <P>Guess good stuff holds up, eh?<P>Ya, I don't get the Alzheimer's thing either. If we were going to end up like this ANYWAY, what the hell did everybody make such a big deal over the drug thing for anyhow? <P>Is this paraoxical? Nixon, sitting in the White House. Amid his paranoid, dilusional, racist, anti-semetic rants to Kissenger (on recently releaased tapes), Nixon created, in 1973, DEA. At the time, Nixon was binging on alcohol and prescription pain meds.<P>And who walks into sing up as his first undercover agent rock star? Why Elvis, of course. The biggest, richest, most famous rock & roll legend of all time. Whose able to drink/drug himself to death by the age of 42.<P>You couldn't make this stuff up.<P>But what's this got to do with Terry Kath's gear?
Demo
Squire

Postby 1959burst on Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:23 am

Terry was writing for a solo album and was about to have it produced by Guercio. Terry owns Gibson SG guitar, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster from 1968, and Fender Telecasters. <P>His devices are the bass tone pedal and cry-baby wah-wah pedals and founded the Pignose Amplifiers with creating a new sound. He was nickname as "The monster of the telecaster". On January 23, 1978 at roadie Donnie Johnson's home , in a party , Terry was cleaning up the guns and had two guns one was a .38 pistol and a nine millimeter gun, and Johnson was concern for Kath's well being, but Kath thinking that the gun was not loaded quotes his last words "Don't Worry It's Not Loaded" he pulled the trigger to his head and was killed instantly. Terry Alan Kath died at the age of 32 and LA Police investigated. The body was later carried for an autopsy which the LA coroner ruled in "Accidental Gunshot Wound to the Head Under the Influence of Alcohol and drugs" in Los Angeles, California. <P>from a kath website<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/Opry/8520/kathgear.html" TARGET=_blank>terry kaths gear</A> <BR><A HREF="http://www.chicagotheband.com/discographymemtk01.htm" TARGET=_blank>terry kath recordings</A>
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby Demo on Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:59 pm

Amperex, you rule. Thanks. You have some interesting friends. I'm not SURE I know exactly what you're talking about (compilation CD), but maybe. What's it called? <P>I agree. He was an incredible guitarist. I would have loved to have known him. He sounds like he was a little on the wild side (perfect)! <P>I enjoy rediscovering that band. They were so incredibly innovative for the time. They almost didn't, . . "fit?" That's probably why I never saw them.
Demo
Squire

Postby greengod on Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:16 pm

Great player for sure; the early albums of the Chicago Transit Authority (as they called themselves then) feature his best work. I recall a thing called "Free form guitar" recorded live in 1968, wild and crazy.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" (F. Nietzsche).

www.soundclick.com/bluesbox
http://www.myspace.com/samandthebluesbox
greengod
Knight

Postby DreamTone7 on Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:08 pm

Is that the same "Free Form Guitar" that appeared on "Chicago Transit Authority"?
He that hath an ear, let him hear.
DreamTone7
Baron

Postby David Taylor on Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:48 pm

As far as I know, Bogen PA heads and Fender Dual Showman Bottoms (2x15's). Only effect was a Crybaby wah.<P>That having been said - I believe I also detect some fuzz or overdrive being used periodically on the first album.
David Taylor
Squire

Postby Demo on Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 pm

Hey Burst! I didn't see your post. I knew I should have just written you direct. <P>All of you guys are incredible. I don't know how you guys know all of this info, but I'm glad that you do. <P>Somewhere (in one of these boxes) I think I've got the first CTA Album, before they shortened their name? And I think there was definately fuzz and wah.<P>Dad taught me (probably before I could walk) that: (a) there is no such thing as an unloaded gun and (b) never point a gun at anything you don't intend to kill.<P>Know it. Learn it. And live it.<P>No offense Burst but, Canada and the gun control thing is really bull! Still a great Country. LOVE Toronto! You know anything about that high speed train between here (upstate NY - Syracuse) and there Greg?<P>O.K. I'm going to go order the CD. Thanks for the tips.
Demo
Squire

Postby ckhthd on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

I saw the band maybe six times before 1975 and each time he had a 6x10 Acoustic (brand) cabinet placed horizontally on top of a Kustom 1x15 (the old padded cabinet). He had some kind of homemade looking pre-amp or first head which fed a Acoustic 100 watt head; he also ran a 1x10 or maybe 1x12 floor monitor. In 1977 he had four 4X12 Acoustic bottoms and two 100 watt Acoustic heads; he was plugged into a Fender twin reverb that was directed toward him. Pete Cetera used one or two Acoustic 1X15 (or 1X17)folded horn cabinets and one or two 100 watt Acoustic heads; sometimes he had the 2x15 + horn Acoustic cabinet. Every Time I saw them TK used Fender start and Teelcaster and rarely an SG. Cetera usually used a Fender Precision bass sometimes a Jazz bass and rarely a Gibson. Robert Lamm used a Hammond B3 with two Leslie 900 amps and a Clavinet L also thru the leslies; sometimes he had a Fender rhodes as well and occasionally a white yamaha grand piano. The mics were usually Shure. The PA cabinets appeared custom made and they had 2 2x12 Fender guitar bottoms on stage and to each side of he stage 4-6 folded horn cabinets over four 4x12 cabinets ;the folded horns had large compression horns on top inside of this were four columns of 4x10 0r four by 12--they may have been Fender brand. Other times they seemed to use the house PA. Danny used Slingerland drums.
ckhthd
Peasant

Return to Signature Tones