early iron maiden drive sounds?!

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

early iron maiden drive sounds?!

Postby riffpowers on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 am

Been listeNing to some early maiden live stuff, and wondered about the guitar tones.they must have used some kind of pedal to get that amount of dirt out of a non mv Marshall, anyone know what they used?!
-----------------------------------
Marshall JCM800 2204
Marshall 1987X
Marshall 1960AX
Zilla 2x12
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
riffpowers
Squire

Re: early iron maiden drive sounds?!

Postby ampdan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 pm

This is quoted from Guitar World 1983. I saw the "Killers" tour in Milwaukee @ Summerfest, I was literally pressed up against the stage.
This is the same gear I remember seeing.

Dave has come up in the world since his Top Twenty days.

"The guitar I use mainly now is a '57 Stratocaster (the guitars in the pictures were rented for the shoot because the band's equipment was on the way to Tucson). I've got two DiMarzio pickups on it, a Super Distortion at the bridge and a PAF at the neck. The PAF's got a smoother, creamier sound. The Strat is my favorite, but I also have a Les Paul which I use occasionally, and I just picked up a 1961 SG Les Paul with all the original parts."

The guitarist's amplifier setup is the Heavy Metal standard, four fifty-watt Marshalls with Marshall cabinets. "One cab's got EV speakers in it, which are miked-up for the out-front sound. And the others have Celestions, which are a bit more dirty. For effects, I have a board that was designed by Pete Cornish in London. It has a CryBaby wah-wah pedal, MXR Distortion Plus, Phase 90 phase shifter, an FET Power booster to overdrive the amps and a graphic equalizer that I leave on all the time."

Adrian Smith also started out on a Top Twenty guitar. "You get them in department stores, next to the washing machines. Now I've got a number of guitars, but I just mainly use two, the SG Standard and an Ibanez Destroyer with stock parts. For effects, I use an Ibanez Tube Screamer, a Micro Amp for power boost on the solos, a flange and a Boss Chorus. I used to have a lot more, but I whittled it down because I just didn't need it all."

Both players favor Dean Markley strings in the .09-.11-.15-.4-.32-.40 range.
ampdan
Page

Return to Signature Tones