Pete Anderson Tone

The greatest names in guitar, the sounds that we all want and have chased for years. This is the central location for decoding the elusive signature sounds.

Pete Anderson Tone

Postby Doc W on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I have always loved the sound of Pete Anderson's Tele playing with Dwight Yokam. It sound very unmodified - no pedals - and in interviews with him, this seems to be the case. But he uses a Deluxe Reverb and I could never get that sound out of my 1965 DR. My 1970 Super Reverb is a different story. I set the treble at 5, mid at 5, bass at 4 and, most importantly, the bright is switch on. My Tele has a slightly underwound bridge pickup for that Bakersfield sound and through the SR at those settings, it sounds (to my ear), exactly the Pete Anderson tone, especially on songs like "I Got You."

Without the bright switch, it is a different amp. That switch adds what I have heard called "chizzle" as opposed to "sizzle." High-mid? Dunno. But I wish I could get that out of my 1965 DR. Any suggestions?
Doc W
Peasant

Re: Pete Anderson Tone

Postby pdf64 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

1st step is to find out what speaker he's using; if your speaker has a different voicing, you're unlike;y to get close.
I seem to remember that he's noted for using 6L6 output tubes in his DR; NB don't just plug some 6L6 tubes into your amp, it will need setting up for them, a bigger C- bias voltage is required, otherwise they may cause significant damage to the amp.
Having noted the above, a SR has a 120pF (switchable) bright cap, a DR has a wired in 47pF bright cap, ie as far as the basic tone shaping circuits of the two amps are concerned, although they are closely similar, a DR won't be as bright as an SR.
Try swapping the 47pF for a 120pF bright cap in the vibrato channel?
Both jobs should be do-able for a minimum bench fee by a competent tech.
But that's not to say that other issues aren't present in a amp in its 5th decade; a thorough checkover and service are also in order, eg check for failing electrolytic caps, carbon comp resistors.
Pete
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby 57lpjr on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Info turned up when "googling";

You replace the 6V6 power tubes with 6L6's. Replace the speaker with an EVM12L. The most important change is to replace the 6.8kOhm resistor on the bass control with a 10kOhm. This has the effect of turning your middle control on 10. Then, his favourite settings were: bass on 2, treble on 5, reverb on 2 or 3, and volume on 5.

and;

QUESTION: your opinion on the S.D. vintage, 54 Telecaster lead pickup compared to other replacement offerings and original tele. units (that still function) ~Paul
ANSWER: It's As Good as you can get! /pete

Saw him recently using his Reverend Signature hollowbody and a Line 6 - he sounded just like him...
Last edited by 57lpjr on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Doc W on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:20 am

57lpjr wrote:
Saw him recently using his Reverend Signature hollowbody and a Line 6 - he sounded just like him...

i saw him with the Reverend and although he sounded like Pete Anderson, he sounded nothing like he did with Dwight Yokam. Are you saying that the tone he gets out of that Reverend is the same as with the Esquire he played with Dwight? Or have I misunderstood you?
Doc W
Peasant

Postby 57lpjr on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Yes, with a few knob twists and switch flicks on the guitar he got that "Yoakam tone" with the Reverend & Line 6...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Doc W on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:55 am

57lpjr wrote:Yes, with a few knob twists and switch flicks on the guitar he got that "Yoakam tone" with the Reverend & Line 6...

Either you don't play a whole lot of guitar or you don't listen to a whole lot of Pete Anderson. I love the sound he gets these days but there are really significant differences.
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kr7oj7_rHc[/url]
Doc W
Peasant

Postby 57lpjr on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:43 pm

It's all in the hands...of course you already know that...

57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Doc W on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:35 pm

57lpjr wrote:It's all in the hands...of course you already know that...

If you truly think that tone is all in the hands, what the hell are you doing in this forum? You actually think he would get the same tone with a hollowbody?

It is ok if you don't know the answer to the original question, which was about a possible mod to a DR. It is not ok that you pretend to be an expert when you clearly don't know shit from shinola.
Doc W
Peasant

Postby Grendyll on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 pm

don't hold back man, and be sure an eat the entrails after you finish gutting him for his participation........ geez :roll:
ampeg aficionado,fender freak,marshall maven
Grendyll
Page

Postby geoff_bell on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:13 pm

a lot of tone is in the hands of the player! playing through the same gear won't necessarily make two people sound the same imho. you will sound different using different gear, don't get me wrong (replacing the stock mini-humbuckers in my early-70s sg special with a p90 at the bridge improved the sounds from the guitar more-so than the seymourized mini i had originally upgraded it with), but people still knew it was me playing the guitar.
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby Doc W on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Grendyll wrote:don't hold back man, and be sure an eat the entrails after you finish gutting him for his participation........ geez :roll:

Another poster with no response to the original question but lots to say nonethless.

Is this forum about amps and tone or not? WTF?
Doc W
Peasant

Postby 57lpjr on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Good luck in your quest to try and sound like someone else...

57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Doc W on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 pm

57lpjr wrote:Good luck in your quest to try and sound like someone else...

Should we assume that you have one guitar and one amp since and will always play that combination since, as you have insisted, the hardware has nothing to do with tone? Followup question: what brings you to a forum which seems to explore in detail the tonal attributes of different amps and guitars?
Doc W
Peasant

Postby 57lpjr on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Many of us on here are either trying to find, or refine, OUR own Tone. During your quest to sound like someone else try not to get any "chizzle" on your chin...

57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Doc W on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:42 am

You sound more ridiculous and pathetic every time you post. I will let you have the last word. Have a nice life.
Doc W
Peasant

Next

Return to Signature Tones