GRO100 = early OR120?

Cliff Cooper's unique OR80, OR80 Combo, OD80, Graphic 80, OR100, Hustler Combo, OD120, OR120, OR120 Combo, PA120, Graphic 120, OR200, Reverb, 2x12, 4x12

GRO100 = early OR120?

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:43 am

hey folks...

i looked for this everywhere but didn't find a clear response.
i've seen quite a few GRO100 amps for sale with the pics and text faceplate, they look exactly like the OR120 from the same years.
was there an actual difference? wattage? circuit?

the GRO's were Matamp-built or something?

everybody raves over the "plexi pics only" sound, but then did this circuit change? now it turns out the pics-only faceplates were used up to 1975, which is OR120 territory all the way.

share to shed some light on this? thanks!

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Re: GRO100 = early OR120?

Postby Simon Wicks on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:00 pm

I think they were Matamp built for Orange. Orange then started making their own called the OR120 while Matamp sold a version as the GT-120. The differences between schematics is extremely minimal. They use different coupling cap values and the matamps often have an inductor on the board. Thats about it really. The GRO100s i've seen pics of look pretty much identical to OR120's.
Simon
Simon Wicks
Prince

Postby CDH on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:28 am

Most of the guys I've talked to who own a GRO have 120's as well. The general consensus I hear is the GRO's are a little gainier. Likely down to the Iron.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby LD50 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:14 pm

by orange on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:11 am

Vintage Orange amps are very cool! The new stuff is nothing like the vintage amps.... except maybe the rocker 30 in tone... otherwise the new stuff is kinda crapy...

The vintage Orange amps are very loud! they dirty up around 3 or 4 on the volume dial.... They sound best run through an attenuator to get some really cool overdrive!

There are 6 categories for Vintage Orange gear...I've owned most examples....

1. 1969-1973.... Orange/Matamp heads... white faceplate with Orange/Matamp written on the front: I have an Orange Matamp OR100 head, these amps have some great sparkling clean tones and some amazing overdrive... similar to a Marshall Plexi in overdrive but tighter in the bottom end and less spongy... Listen to the band Switchfoot and the song "stars" to get an idea of the Orange/Matamp tone... that rythm Guitar is an Orange/Matamp.

2. 1971-1973: Orange amps with a white faceplate... like the Orange/Matamp heads but with no "Matamp" on the faceplate.

3. 1971-1972: Pix Only Orange amps with a plexi face plate .... Most of these amps have a lay down transformer... They are similar to the Orange/Matamp head but a little more compressed in tone.

4. 1972-1973: Pix only heads with a metal faceplate some amps have small pix .... These amps can be the same as the plexi pix only heads with the lay down transformer or they can also be like the newer pix and text amps with stand up transformers and a slightly different circuit.

5.1973-1978 Pix and Text amps..... These are the easiest to find and sound quite good.... not as good as an Orange/Matamp head though...

6. 1979 : Series Two Orange heads.... New cosmetics such as big ugly plastic corners and new cab design (front loaded) for the 4x12 cabs

You will notice that the years overlap with some of these amps....I've seen old photo's of an Orange shop with the pix only heads and the white Orange/Matamp and Orange white face plate amps in the window! So these seem to have been around at the same time.

The post 1973 Orange amps are very easy to date using the serial number... The pre 1973 pix only heads and Orange/Matamp heads are a little trickier to date.. Some Orange/matamp amps have the date written on the chassis side... Or you can sometimes email Matamp and give your serial number and they can give you the build date. Otherwise is a bit of a guess..

Matamp made amps for Orange even after the parting of the two companies.... You can sometimes see a Matamp Made Orange up to 1977... You can tell its a Matamp made amp by the black transformers and hand written serial number on the later amps.

Sorry if I have lifted this but that is the extent of my understanding - it aligns with the other posters too.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby Pacafeliz on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Cool, thanks!
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Return to Orange