Cut up my equipment rack tonight...

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Re: Cut up my equipment rack tonight...

Postby onedrum on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:17 pm

actually yeah, a lot of guys still use tape somewhere in the path. some guys will track everything in pt, then run through tape, some guys track on tape then load it into pt, and i know a guy who tracks drums to tape as hot as he can to get some tape saturation, then loads that into pt and finishes the album in pt. the problem nowadays with tape is that for most bands, the expense is not worth adding that little bit of sonic difference. a roll of tape for 24 track is around $400 and you often need to spend a bunch of time getting the machine in perfect running order. it is also time consuming. so now think of a band struggling from the get go financially goin into the studio today.. the tape option even just to track to load into pt is just not worth it. the big boys can afford it. most bands can't. if we could hear the difference in an mp3, maybe things would be different ;-)

we were just in the studio, and of course i asked how much more per day if we wanted to go tape to pt, and the engineer figured an extra day to two days with drums alone. that woulda been $3000 excluding the cost of the tape. even then, the rest of the instruments woulda been straight to pt cuz we couldn't afford to keep tracking in that room. also, the drums alone took up 26 tracks, so we woulda had to cut out two mics to go to tape. get my point? the only sensible way to go tape for most of us is to buy the gear and record it ourselves. which is fun, and exciting! i woulda loved to go to tape but yeah, the negatives out weighed the positives.
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Re: Cut up my equipment rack tonight...

Postby MichaelE on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:35 pm

I understand the costs involved. You'll get about 15 minutes of usable tape on a 2500' spool at 30 ips.
MichaelE
Page

Previous

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques