Cables?? Do you make your own or buy them??

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Cables?? Do you make your own or buy them??

Postby TsunamiCables on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:25 am

I was wondering if you studio guys build your own cables? If so what cables/connectors are you using? Or if you buy them? If so what companies do you buy?
TsunamiCables
Peasant

Re: Cables?? Do you make your own or buy them??

Postby demonufo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Have made my own for about 15 years or more. Costs about a third of anything in the shops, and gives way superior results to those that I can actually afford/justify.

Always use Neutrik jacks too, the strain relief is way superior to alternative types. The silent neutriks (earth switching) are pretty damn sweet too, if you tend to unplug.
Git orffff moi lannnddddd!!

http://www.myspace.com/molotovsexbomb
demonufo
Baron

Postby onedrum on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:15 pm

under no circumstances should you ever use the big metal switchcraft ends. they're awkward to work with and unreliable. i work in audio for a living and i can tell you they are the worst design i've ever seen, and they are often more expensive than the good neutrik ones. makes no sense to me. also, make sure you buy good shielded cable. you get what you pay for with this stuff, don't cheap out!! it's wild how much of a difference good shielding can do for radio interference. and if you ARE in the position where you can afford new cables, don't waste your money on planet waves stuff. not only is the end un-serviceable, the cable is oddly thick, making it difficult to wrap up, and i'm certain it's less to do with build quality and more to do with cheap thick rubber. (as opposed to better shielding) that company never ceases to amaze me with their garbage. don't even get me started on their quarter inch patch cables that have destroyed numerous input on guitar and amps. long story short- neutrik all the way!!
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby TsunamiCables on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 am

Sweet guys I'm glad I'm on the right road. I only use Neutrik connectors. I use Canare cable. And am starting to use Gepco cable. Any one have any Ideas on that?
TsunamiCables
Peasant

Postby Britishampfan on Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:02 pm

TsunamiCables wrote:Sweet guys I'm glad I'm on the right road. I only use Neutrik connectors. I use Canare cable. And am starting to use Gepco cable. Any one have any Ideas on that?

Canare cable is good, really good. I had a studio engineer friend that made me a believer.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby TsunamiCables on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 pm

Anybody Do anything a little bit more challenging like BNC or snakes or midi or even muitpul-Pin=Out cables? Just wondering?
Thanks guys!!!!
You ALL ROCK!!!!
:jam: :thumbsup: :cheers:
TsunamiCables
Peasant

Postby Britishampfan on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:16 am

TsunamiCables wrote:Anybody Do anything a little bit more challenging like BNC or snakes or midi or even muitpul-Pin=Out cables? Just wondering?
Thanks guys!!!!
You ALL ROCK!!!!
:jam: :thumbsup: :cheers:

I have made all the above cables and have made my own fiber optic patch links.

I`m trying to get my fiber optic interface surround sound to work both ways from my 18 track digital Fiber optic in/out and USB to CPU it works great but the record on the CPU isn`t working :POd:

Everything records nice on the board from my CPU it`s the other way that doesn`t work and it should. :POd:
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby TsunamiCables on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:13 am

Wow fiber optic cables where did you learn how to do that? Also do you know where I can learn how to do that?
Thanks and good luck with your recording setup.... :cheers:
TsunamiCables
Peasant

Postby Grendyll on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

onedrum wrote:under no circumstances should you ever use the big metal switchcraft ends. they're awkward to work with and unreliable. i work in audio for a living and i can tell you they are the worst design i've ever seen, and they are often more expensive than the good neutrik ones. makes no sense to me.

not sure why anyone would have issues with these, been around since 1946,easy to repair,millions of studios/world tours etc.... :yeah_right:

unreliable? if you buy some cheap imitation chinese junk maybe..... :uhh:

ive always make all of my own cables patch cords etc, beldon thank you very much, playing out, recording 30 plus years..... :think_1:
ampeg aficionado,fender freak,marshall maven
Grendyll
Page

Postby demonufo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:02 pm

Grendyll wrote:
onedrum wrote:under no circumstances should you ever use the big metal switchcraft ends. they're awkward to work with and unreliable. i work in audio for a living and i can tell you they are the worst design i've ever seen, and they are often more expensive than the good neutrik ones. makes no sense to me.

not sure why anyone would have issues with these, been around since 1946,easy to repair,millions of studios/world tours etc.... :yeah_right:

unreliable? if you buy some cheap imitation chinese junk maybe..... :uhh:

ive always make all of my own cables patch cords etc, beldon thank you very much, playing out, recording 30 plus years..... :think_1:

I dunno, maybe he voiced it a bit strong, but I think for guitar cables, he's absolutely right. The strain relief just isn't up to the job when being regularly pulled about.

demonufo
Baron

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:58 pm

Guess if you're flailing about like an epileptic kangaroo having a seizure....... :roll: :lol:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Tube Rube on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:23 pm

thats what i was thinking, new gen shoe gazer thrasher types in drop d. :laff:
If it's too loud, go away.
Tube Rube
Court Jester

Postby demonufo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Well, I guess the kind of gigs we have to do in this country are worlds apart to what most are used to, especially for us bands that are (shock horror) actually playing our own material. Some places haven't even thought of a stage, and there's the odd venue where some drunken tosspot is bound to veer over and fall on your gear while you're playing. Other places, stages are so small that you can't avoid treading on your own gear. And then there's the gigs where we have to share stages with at least two other bands, with very crowded stages and sh!t everywhere.
I just found in the two or three years that I tried persevering with Switchcraft, that I was having to do repairs all too often. They just weren't up to the task in my experience. Whereas with Neutriks, that just hasn't happened.

Also on one set I had (that I'm pretty sure were genuine) whatever plating was on the tips had started to flake off. That put me off for life and started me looking elsewhere.

I guess for those that have nice big open stages, don't gig too often, and have nice big basements/home studio's this won't be an issue. But for me and countless others, they sucked bigtime, and I won't be considering trying them again anytime soon.

demonufo
Baron

Postby Tube Rube on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:33 pm

whatever works for you man, I just never had any issues and have averaged 3-5 gigs a week for longer than i care to admit. i'm careful with my gear and am not about to route my les pauls for a nuetrik plug, just isn't necessary ime. i liken them to torx screws, someone somewhere needed to create a new market.... :lol:
If it's too loud, go away.
Tube Rube
Court Jester

Postby demonufo on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Tube Rube wrote:whatever works for you man, I just never had any issues and have averaged 3-5 gigs a week for longer than i care to admit. i'm careful with my gear and am not about to route my les pauls for a nuetrik plug, just isn't necessary ime. i liken them to torx screws, someone somewhere needed to create a new market.... :lol:

Whoa, whoa, no need for routing, we're talking Neutrik jacks here, not Neutrik XLR's. Now that really would be overkill. For those that obviously aren't familiar;
http://www.studiospares.com/Connectors/ ... nvt/575500
or
http://www.studiospares.com/Connectors/ ... nvt/578010

And the silent jacks;
http://www.studiospares.com/Connectors/ ... nvt/581540
or
http://www.studiospares.com/Connectors/ ... nvt/581590

Let's leave the butchering with XLR's to Lester himself shall we! :lol:

And Torx screws were simply designed as security, to stop people tampering with things that they shouldn't, since they weren't likely to have the correct tools unless they knew what they were doing.

demonufo
Baron

Next

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques