Marshall SE-100 vs Palmer PDI-03

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Marshall SE-100 vs Palmer PDI-03

Postby dewey342 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:55 pm

I would like to hear some opinions if anyone has the time.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

dewey342
dewey342
Court Jester

Re: Marshall SE-100 vs Palmer PDI-03

Postby Dai on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:52 pm

palmer seems to have the better filter (i.e. speaker emulating EQ). The SE100 has a more "complete" speaker emulating reactive load. Haven't tried it yet but my guess is that the Palmer loaded by the SE100 load into a good compressor may be closer to satisfactory for the experienced guitarist. Of course that's just how things sound to me so take it with a grain of salt since someone else may have a different opinion and impressions.
Dai
Baron

Postby dewey342 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks Dai; I'm assuming you mean if were one were abel to take the "filter" from the Palmer and combine it with the reactive load of the SE-100, you would get an ideal piece of equipment?
dewey342
Court Jester

Postby Dai on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:20 pm

no so much ideal but more that that setup (so far in my on and off sometime experimentation) has given me the best sound so far (except I haven't tried the compressor yet though I have a joemeek vc3q channel strip type thing which has a compressor). (I am using a Power Brake instead of the SE100 load but they are pretty much the same thing.) I've also experimented a bit with lowering the volume from the Power Brake even further with an L-Pad (just two resistors basically--nothing really complicated) and with some slight tweaking of the Power Brake load, I was able to get something really low volume (about as low as the 'raw' unamplified sound from the gtr.) and not too bad sounding, but it just seemed less attractive after a while since the sound lacks impact (to me) because the volume just isn't there (maybe I needed to try mic'ing the speaker and listening through headphones--where I could 'turn up' in the cans but never got that far). Also, fwiw I heard some sound clips of someone's Palmer PGA-04, and while it wasn't quite as good sounding as a well mic'ed speaker/cab setup it wasn't that bad and better than I expected.
Dai
Baron

Postby dewey342 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:24 am

I use a Power Brake all the time and like it very much. I didn't know whether I could use the extra speaker output for a recording signal or not. (Let me know if you can and how). Hence, that's why I have an SE-100 on the way to try out. Then I heard about the Palmer PDI-03 (after I bought the SE-100 on ebay). Oh well, I figure I will try and see what I like the best; they are definately not losing any value on ebay. It's like with the Power Brake; I read good and bad. I guess what matters in the end is what "your ears" like, because I am totally satisfied with my PB100 no matter what setting I use.
For recording I have begun using Ableton's Live 8 Intro Recording Software with an M-Audio Fastrack Pro interface. I also have a Boss 600 recorder I use for a scratch pad and even still have my ol' tascam 244 tape deck. This digital equipment is something I'm still getting aquainted with; I miss the good ol' four-track analog days for sure.
Well, I appreciate your replies Dai, maybe we could talk more about recording techniques and what not sometime; I'm sure there is a lot to learn that would help me in my new quest. I'm wanting to produce a new cd of my music by the way. I have copies from the 244 and want to update those plus I have other songs to produce from scratch.

Talk to ya later...
dewey342
Court Jester

Postby Dai on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:36 am

dewey342 wrote: I guess what matters in the end is what "your ears" like, because I am totally satisfied with my PB100 no matter what setting I use.

yeah definitely. Things can be pretty subjective and "good" can be "bad" depending on who is listening and the situation.

For recording I have begun using Ableton's Live 8 Intro Recording Software with an M-Audio Fastrack Pro interface. I also have a Boss 600 recorder I use for a scratch pad and even still have my ol' tascam 244 tape deck. This digital equipment is something I'm still getting aquainted with; I miss the good ol' four-track analog days for sure.

speaking of 4-tracks, reminds me of something I read about the recording of Dokken("Under Lock and Key"?). (I'm not really into them anymore but I used to be as a metalhead and I do think that is a metal album of note and of course they had George Lynch.) Apparently, after the guitar was recorded "the normal way" (i.e. with a mic on a cabinet through good quality equipment) Lynch and Michael Wagener decided to put the recorded signal through a cheap four-track for some (what would you call it?) "crapification"? (I gathered it grunged up the signal in a nice way.) And this was although a lot of other engineers and whomever would have thumbed their noses at doing something so... anti-big and low key. :lol: So I guess for art, it's never necessarily an obvious "1,2,3,4,5" logical process.

Well, I appreciate your replies Dai, maybe we could talk more about recording techniques and what not sometime; I'm sure there is a lot to learn that would help me in my new quest. I'm wanting to produce a new cd of my music by the way. I have copies from the 244 and want to update those plus I have other songs to produce from scratch.

thanks. I don't really know too much and I admit I'm not too serious about it but I try to post what I've learned here and there just in case it's useful.
Dai
Baron

Postby dewey342 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Well, I'm sure you have helped many people and your knowledge is much appreciated here; thanks for your time and input. That Lynch thing is interesting; I like the reverse guitar sounds you can achieve with the old tape machines. I use to be into Dokken and the like as well but now it's more Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Montrose, Travers, Trower, Clapton, Beck, etc. (just like that good ol' bluesy rock & roll; a little AC/DC here and there too I guess).
I still feel youg at heart, it's just the body that is'nt cooperating. :)

Hope you have a safe and Happy Holiday Season!
dewey342
Court Jester

Postby Dai on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:52 pm

thanks man, you too! :cheers:
Dai
Baron

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques