Help me buy a condenser budget mic.

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Help me buy a condenser budget mic.

Postby Orange Adam on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:31 am

Out of all these which one would u choose for studio home recording?
Please tell why.

Rode NT1-A, NT1000

Audio-Technica AT2020

Joemeek JM37DP * *

Joemeek JM47

M-Audio Luna

SE Electronic SE2200A, SE1000A

Studio Projects B3, C1, B1, B3

These are in my price range.

Thanx.
a

Re: Help me buy a condenser budget mic.

Postby madstrat on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:12 pm

i like the rode...i have the NT-2A, which has the same capsule as the NT1-

incredible on vocals and acoustic instruments;

the thing is so sensitive, i'd swear you can hear angels whisper on playback thru the cans

the AT stuff is quality as well

the other brands seem a little pro-sumer to me..
madstrat
Knight

Postby wolfhead on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:08 pm

Studio Project mics are excellent for the price but what are you planning to record? That makes a big difference.
wolfhead
Squire

Postby pckpat on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:00 pm

gee,being right next door to austria,it's too bad you can't get a deal on some akg stuff(414? 8) ).also mxl is a very reasonable price-i have the 4000,came w/a bonus small condenser mic, and a suspension,and windscreen-around $200us@mf last year. :o -might not be quite up to the standards of what you're looking for though.the rode line is consistently praised in reviews for it's price range.as the other poster mentioned,what instruments/voice you plan on micing will determine a lot.some will add a bass effect,or more mids,etc.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Orange Adam on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm

mainly vocals
some acoustic, reso.
The ones i mentioned i can get locally....
thanx.
Orange Adam
Page

Postby Orange Adam on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:00 pm

bump
Orange Adam
Page

Postby Dai on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:32 am

this help any?

http://www.studioauditions.com/jamroomsessions_home.php

(sorry, I have no idea how accurate the clips are to reality. The best sound I've found inexpensively so far is SM57/58 through a mic input transformer equipped mic pre. Was wondering about this subject also (i.e. if any of the low cost mostly Chinese condensers are usable--"overperformers?")
Dai
Baron

Postby onedrum on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:01 am

rent a mic to do whatever project you need to do immediately.. then save a little more and buy a neumann tlm 103. "relatively" cheaper mic from them that sounds absolutely amazing.
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby kominak on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 am

I have been using Studio Projects B1 for vocals and acoustic guitar in my home studio for a couple of years - but I only record myself and I still use the mic because it sounds good on my voice. From what I read at the time it was the cheapest mic that could provide usable results. If I were shopping for a cheap mic today, I'd order online 3-4 mics, try it on my voice and guitar, keep the one I like the best and return the others.

I have heard many recordings comparing various mics on male/female vocals, acoustic guitars and drums and all the cheap mics (SP, SE, Rode, AT, MXL, ...) sounded just like that - a cheap mic. That doesn't mean you can't get usable result with some EQ tweaking.
They all sounded a little different, but you could always draw a very clear line between them and the more expensive Neumann/AKG stuff.
SP B1 is one of the cheapest of the bunch, but I don't see any reason for upgrading until I have enough money for AKG C414 - it's the only large diaphragm condenser that sounds really good on acoustic guitar, imho.

The one exception to the rule are maybe russian Oktava mics... especially modded ones.
kominak
Certified

Postby wolfhead on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:19 pm

From the list you provided I would go with one of the Studio Projects mics. They're pretty darn good for the price.
wolfhead
Squire

Postby Vortexion on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:37 am

Not on your list, I know, but if you can find a Russian Oktava MK319 you'll get a lot of mic for not very much money.

Further reading...

http://www.oktava-online.com/mk319.htm
Vortexion
Newt

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques