Melodyne, Can it get any better then this?

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Melodyne, Can it get any better then this?

Postby plexi on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Seriously, Even a lousy player or singer can be made to sound good.

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=plugin1
plexi
Site Admin

Re: Melodyne, Can it get any better then this?

Postby MichaelE on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 pm

Photoshop for music.
MichaelE
Page

Postby ampdan on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Oh how I long for the days when you needed talent to be in the music biz. :roll:
ampdan
Page

Postby selloutrr on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 am

if the music biz was about talent most of the acts would be ugly!!! sales would fall if not end in the 10-19yr graffic. thus ending the record business, disney, and nickelodeon once and for all. I'm not sure how many of you have actually heard a pop star or rapper without "polish" but it's not something you would chose to listen to.

The problem is not melodyne it's human nature.. i.e. reality tv and 3d movies, everything is best in moderation but as a consumer the asswizzars at the top aren't creative enough or confident enough in what they do to not hop on the band wagon and take a really cool idea and over due it and force it down the consumers throat until it's old and no longer special and becomes expected. We have been trained to expect it. talent is no longer genic it's create, songs aren't written and rehearsed they are looped and sampled. Is it the band that is creative or the engineer on the protools rig. That's why in the late 90's all the one hit wonders where down loaded on napster and the records set on the shelf. the record labels where buying acts with one good song.. shitting out a full album and getting upset the consumer for only wanted the one good song. luckily there has been a slow reburn of at least some quality standard in the music industry however mostly sparked by independant labels who's artists only appeal to a select market. The days of major labels and signing to be rich are gone, album sales don't matter for the artist and the bulk of the money is made from merch on tour. Major recording studio's are all but dead and the one's that have hung on are living on fumes. what used to be a 3 month studio block session is a 3 day drum tracking and maybe back for a mixing session in the small room. I hope things get better but until the consumer expects more and stops excepting the pushed out crap that fills the radio I can't see it.
selloutrr
Certified

Postby TheArchitect on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:46 pm

plexi wrote:Seriously, Even a lousy player or singer can be made to sound good.

You think this is a good thing?
TheArchitect
Court Jester

Postby plexi on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:25 am

TheArchitect wrote:
plexi wrote:Seriously, Even a lousy player or singer can be made to sound good.

You think this is a good thing?

Nope, I think it is a serious time saver for those who are struggling to make a living as recording studios and working with baby bands or weekend bands that need all kinds of help. The goal of the mixing engineer is to make the best out of what walks in his door and puts money into the till which he lives on and keeps his doors open with especially in these tough times. If he can cut the work in half and get some more time with the family I have no problem with it. He too is a part of this business and it's not about poor talent, that is a forgone conclusion. No argument from me, I know there is plenty of "American I can do without" manufactured performers but the small guys who are the guys in the trenches need the best time savers they can get.

If your a serious player and you made one lousy mistake on an other wise great take. You can punch in, or you can simply move the note up a half step, of move it forward or backward in time. you can replace a screwed up note with a good one and save yourself a lot of pain. It's not about turning crap into gold. its about helping the pros make work flow better, and guys who work with poor grade talent get his job done faster rather then make his life hell in the process.
In the end, we all have to stand in front of our audiance and write music. Melodyne cannot substitute for either of those talents.

Beyond what I've mentioned here, Melodyne is a powerful SOND DESIGN TOOL. Create all kinds of great EFX or melodic ideas for soundtracking or simply experiment.

So before you put it down, remember there are many good reasons to have high quality algorithms to assist the modern studio mixing tech. Be it small home, medium commercial or large professional production, fixing a problem is not a bad thing.

The example of a rented instrument and a musician brought in to play the part which was completed and sent to the mixing studio is a great example. the instrument was a unique instrument, and the player was flown in to perform the part. The problem was one single note was scored wrong. So in your world you would have the whole thing done over at enormous cost? or would it be viable to use the software to correct the one note that was scored incorrectly?
This is the difference between using powerful software in a logical, practical and highly productive manner verses simply looking at the fact that some crapy singer can get tuned up. If you think melodyne is that good your wrong, Its good but it cannot polish a turd into a gold ring.

Enough said.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby plexi on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:26 am

MichaelE wrote:Photoshop for music.

NICE Turner guitar!
plexi
Site Admin

Postby selloutrr on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Melodyne is the right hands can do amazing things the problem I have with it... the right hands are not the only hands it's in. I'm all for fixing the hickups in a perfectly good track. even using it on the almost ok singer. Heck, I'll take the time to use it note for note, sample by sample I charge by the hour. I seldom listen to the radio but, on my drive home this morning ever song on 4 stations was thick with pitch correction. You can polish a turd you just have to go about it delicately and do it multiple times. adjust.. print.. adjust.. print.. the end result.. britney, katie, disney, do you really think all those hot girls can actually hold pitch? The cheap melodyne gives you moderate control the flag ship version lets you redraw the wave form.
selloutrr
Certified

Postby AndyKC on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:14 pm

When your brief is to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t then it's worth the outlay. It's a tool; I have it, and I've used it to saladize a number of clients.
AndyKC
Page

Postby plexi on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:23 am

Software is a tool. If anyone is thinking Melodyne is "Auto Tune" your sorrily mistaken. I use it for sorting out problems, timing, changing pitch, sound design, correcting some flubbed notes in a chord, changing a minor into a major if for some reason that happens and so on. I don't lend my studio to anyone other then me for my purpose of amp demos but I have a good DAW and it just does not allow for the fine adjustments without the artifacts when dealing with multiple fixes. Once more, I can do beat mapping so fast and easy, it's a joke.

I want better software with more transparency, not crap. If Melodyne is used to fix poor vocals that's one thing but to make sure there is good pitch or timing, you need good software that can analyze that sort of thing, many do not approach the level of power Melodyne has and to top it off, it's 64 bit!
plexi
Site Admin

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques