New studio, what to get.

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Re: New studio, what to get.

Postby improvisation07 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 am

I would start looking at pics or layouts of other studios. Find some that you like and just copy those bits. As far as gear thats entirely up to you.

But i vote for analouge. :wink:
improvisation07

Postby lexicondevil on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:56 am

What type of cash are you willing to spend on gear, and what's the local market like as far as bands willing to use a professional facility as opposed to doing all of their tracking and production on a Cubase/ProTools setup? --If you live in a tiny, remote town, I would suggest against a big Neve/Studer setup, as well as a bunch of old Neumann AKG,and Coles microphones, as you will be far too expensive for the local market, and other more musicians probably wouldn't want to drive to podunk to record their album.

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but you're asking a VERY open question here, please be more specific.
lexicondevil
Squire

Postby gemmill on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:31 am

the plus side of digital is you can avoid buying a lot of the outboard stuff as you get going... the whole environment is generally just a lot more forgiving for folks who don't quite know what they're doing.

if you are really going to build the studio, after construction, sound treatment, wiring, mics, cables, etc. etc. you will have spent so much money that the digital/analog choice will be easy: do both. most studios i've been to have a preference, but will work either way.

lexicondevil is right... definitely don't shell out for the super-high-end mics and boards out front... i put together a mobile recording setup and i have to say that even 'cheap' mics are expensive when you are buying them all at once.
gemmill
Knight

Postby madstrat on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:37 am

depends i suppose how "serious" you are willing to get into it

do you want a commercial shop?

or just a place to shake out some demos?

a wealth of info can be found at gearslutz....some top notch pros post there regularly

tape is cool, no doubt....but the upkeep of the machine is crucial

seems to me the consoles are making a comeback...so a hybrid rig of analogue board used w/the box gets best of both worlds
madstrat
Knight

Postby lexicondevil on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:55 am

The urban spaceman wrote:Well I guess what I mean is that if we are to start with a digital set up, I would not want to buy something that we will need to replace. So what kind of desk and recorder would we need to get started that we can build on.

Yamaha 02R96 seems to be a popular choice for digital studios, as does a top line Mac computer. I'd also want to look at getting top rung ADDA converters that have 24 bit resolution with 192 Khz sample rate to give you room to grow should you want to remain digital.

Good nearfield monitors, like a pair of Genelec 1031a's. Avoid Yamaha NS10M's as the the stone age relics that they are.

At least one high end Mic Preamp/Pre-EQ module like an API, Helios, Neve, Telefunken/TAB Funkenwerk,Etc. Variety here is a good thing if you can afford it.

Aside from this, a good collection of decent mics is a good bet as well. Consider this for a very good all around pro setup:

AKG C1000 ( 6-10)
AKG D112 (3)
AKG C414 (At least a pair of them that's closely matched, TL-2 Versions if you can afford them)
Audio Technica 4035, 4040,etc
EV RE/PE-20 (2)
Shure KSM44 ( At least two)
At least a pair of high end Large Diaphram Condenser mics like Neumann U87, U89, MT Gefell, Etc.

At least one high end Tube Condenser like a AKG C12, (If you can afford one), Lomo 19a19, Blue Bottle, etc.

a pair of Ribbon Mics like Royer, Coles, or even Oktava, with one the mics shelved as a backup in case sombody kills a ribon in the middle of a session, and/or you have to ship one off to get it re-ribboned.

A cheapo vocal mic like an SM58, as some people like to use them to track vocals, and vocalists are familiar with them.

You're also going to want a separate isolated Drum room, as well as sufficiently isolated Control room, that a vocalist can also track vocals in.

Also, RF shielding and AC power conditioning/isolation is a must for all performance and equipment areas of the studio.
lexicondevil
Squire

Postby Britishampfan on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:25 am

I`d go digital most studios have a hybrid thing going on analog and tube equipment, great compressors and top of the line converters sent to a Pro tools pc or Mac. Computers make the editing process so easy. Most everything goes to mp3 anyway or cd, pretty low resolution on the final product.

Warning: A studio is a giant hole in the ground you throw fist fulls of $100 bills into.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby Dave Volume on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:07 pm

there are positives and negatives to both avenues. madstrat is right analog rules but upkeep is very important. professional 1" and 2" machines need regular calibration. many studios have there maintenance people calibrate their decks every morning. on the other hand with digital there is a constant merry-go-round of system upgrades and plug-ins. the digital arena is getting better every year with coming up with better sounding products (mic-pre simulators, ad/da converters, etc). where as the technology is rapidly changing with digital, 2" tape and a nice board like a trident or neve are prima materia of the studio world. i suggest both analog and digital starting with a good digital set-up like pro-tools or radar and then later look into getting an analog machine. for analog studer is always going to be the expensive route. otari or mci decks can still be found for reasonable prices. the truth is, it boils down to building up good relationships with local bands and making them sound great and charging reasonable rates. there are tons of studios with thousands and thousands worth of equipment populated with thousands of people who went to recording engineer school. the secret is to combine equipment with good rapport with clients. good luck!
Dave Volume
Page

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques