Why does this new Gibson 500k pot have no taper?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Why does this new Gibson 500k pot have no taper?

Postby 71Rcode on Sat May 07, 2011 4:14 pm

I was about to order an RS kit for my '76 LP custom (scratchy pots) when I decided to look through my parts box first. I found 4 brand new "Gibson" 500k audio pots - so I wired the LP up this morning the same way. BTW, have highorder pickups in there. Love 'em.

My problem. The tone volume has very little taper = it's full on at 10 and then nearly inaudible at 1-5. And the volume drops off sharply at 8 and below. The original pots had a nice taper to them, but were just too scratchy to keep in there.

Did I make a mistake? I wired her up the same way, which is exactly like an '06 LP classic I've got. And even switched the tone/volume pots (bridge pickup), as the new Gibson tone pot had a nice, linear taper to it. When I put that tone pot in the volume position (neck), she lost all the taper.

71Rcode
Page

Re: Why does this new Gibson 500k pot have no taper?

Postby Vortexion on Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 am

This is what I think is going on:

In the good old days, manufacturers used proper Log taper pots (which take skill to manufacture, and are thus expensive). Then - I don't know exactly when - some bright spark of an accountant came up with the idea that, instead of trying to make a carbon track with a smooth log taper, it would be much easier and cheaper to make a very crude approximation of it by taking two linear tracks of different values and bunging them end to end. This is what we now get sold when we buy a so-called "Audio Taper" pot.

If you have a look at this diagram, you'll see that the two are very different animals:

The blue curve is a proper log pot: nice and smooth all the way.
The red line (labelled "commercial log" in the diagram) is the cheapo Audio Taper type. Not exactly an accurate approximation, is it? :roll:

I suspect that your brand new Gibson replacement pots are this latter type.

Fortunately, there is a way to create your own genuine log pots: the curve you achieve will be be almost a perfect match of a log taper, and you'll even be able to customise the slope to suit your own taste! This is what you do:

1) Buy a LINEAR pot of the value you want.

2) Solder a resistor between the pot's wiper tag and the bottom (ground) tag. To mimic a log taper, the value of this resistor should be approx 10% of the value of the pot. So if you've got a 500k pot, use a 50k resistor (in reality, the closest popular values you will be able to buy are 47k or 51k - that's fine: it's not critical).

Wanna experiment with different slopes? Here is an online calculator tool (it's a Java Applet) that shows you the effect of using different resistor values:

http://www.mindspring.com/~clist/PotGraph.html

Ignore the "Input Voltage" box - it's not relevant. Just type your values into the "Pot resistance" and "Input Resistor" boxes and you'll see the curve of the red line change its shape.

Have fun! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Vortexion on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vortexion
Newt

Re: Why does this new Gibson 500k pot have no taper?

Postby 71Rcode on Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks, Vortexion. Good stuff. I concur with your hypothesis, sir! Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that.

And I will get a couple new volume pots/caps on order from RS Guitarworks.
* Superpots (may try them for the volumes)
* Caps --- either the Jensen, Luxe Bees or the RS house brand
71Rcode
Page

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips