Floyd Rose Bridge

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Floyd Rose Bridge

Postby crowdaddy on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Would someone with experience in adjusting Floyd Rose Bridges tell me if there are individual saddle adjustments with allen screws on some of the Floyd Rose Bridges that adjust the string height similar to the Fender Bridge saddles? This is an Epiphone/Gibson I believe. It may be the Epiphone/Gibson Stratocaster during the troubled years at Gibson. It was sold to me as a U-2, but I don't think so.

I don't really care about that part because the price was right and it sounds pretty decent. Besides I've enjoyed it for years and the place is gone that sold it to me anyway. Just want to be able to get individual strings adjusted right. I think some of the screws on this are stripped or frozen.

Any idea about the individual string saddles on this? Thanks in advance.
crowdaddy
Certified

Re: Floyd Rose Bridge

Postby capt pugwash on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:20 pm

dont know anything about these Floyd Rose bridges do a google search on the problem.......i'm sure one of the FR forums can help you out
capt pugwash
Page

Postby LReese on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:54 pm

I've got a couple, but never got up the nerve to work on them. Don't have the tool to do intonation. You should be able to shim the height, like you do the nut. Its more to set the radius, set the main height with the posts.
LReese
Page

Postby crowdaddy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 pm

Thank you for your input, I'll check it out.
crowdaddy
Certified

Postby Bman (returns) on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm

FWIW after fighting the floating bridge for 30 years, I change each string one by one. Every now and then I'll need to raise the posts to find a string height that I feel right with because after fighting to get it tuned the bridge will move forward or backward raising or lowering the string height relative to the neck. I always try to be dead flat with my bridge but sometimes it moves after tuning.

Doesn't answer your question, but I have an allen wrench that allows me to adjust each saddle up/down, forward/ backward. So I think your answer is yes.

I had a guy do a 'tune up' on my guitar which the neck was kind of bent from years of non use or abuse...whichever. I got it back from him and it was set up perfect! So you may want to spend the dough and save the headache unless that's your cup of tea.
Bman (returns)
Peasant

Postby fredrum on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 am

most floyd roses are fixed radius, meaning that each saddle has a set height in relation to the others. sometimes they use three different sizes of saddles (for example lets say that a=short, b=medium, and c=tall. the saddles would be arranged on a flat bridge plate from low e to high e as follows: a b c c b a). other times the saddles are all the same height but the bridge plate itself is molded so that each saddle sits at the proper height. they do make shims that you can put under the saddles to raise them up, but i dont recall ever seeing one that had set screws for the saddle height.

there were several other goofy double locking systems used mainly on cheaper imported guitars in the eighties (usually to get around paying royalties on the floyd rose patents), many of which did have height adjustable saddles. replacement parts for these are almost impossible to find, but most used a standard size metric allen set screw like you would find on any given strat copy.

for a quick and easy tuning/balance on a floyd:

1. loosen or remove the nut blocks

2. tighten the trem springs

3. block off the trem so that it sits parallell to the body (there are several ways to accomplish this, i usually either stick a chunk of wood behind the trem block or stick a flat piece of plastic between the string clamp allen screws sticking out of the back of the bridge and the body-minding the finish of course....)

4. adjust the fine tuners to the middle of their range

5. tune and make neck adjustments if needed

5.lock down the nut clamps (now the strings are in tune the trem is balanced parallell to the body)

6. remove the block (the trem will pulll sharp)

7. adjust the trem springs until it is in tune(or at least really close)

8. fine tune

i dont much care for floyds, but ive worked on hundreds if not thousands of them in the past few years, and this is the easiest way i know of to balance the trem.
fredrum
Court Jester

Postby crowdaddy on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Bman and fredrum, thank you, I'm thinking I have the goofy system one, naturally, and I will look for that metric allen, after I figure a way to remove a corroded one or two, maybe more. Probably pull it with some tiny needle nose lock wrench, as the inside of that metric allen screw is stripped. I've used : easy outs on big metal stuff but I don't know about teeny tiney ones. At least I know what I'm going to do. Thanks I'll let you know how the operation turns out, it might be awhile, I'm fixing my car, you know keeping it going ect, seems to be time consuming. :D
crowdaddy
Certified

Postby fredrum on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:46 am

remove the saddle and soak it in some wd 40 for a while, then try to clean out the hole in the set screw. they tend to get full of a cement like mixture of dirt, sweat, and dead skin cells and the allen wrench doesnt always go in all they way. its possible that once its cleaned out the wrench might catch and the screw will come out. otherwise, ive found it works best (assuming that youre replacing the set screw) to grab it with a pliers and turn it out through the bottom instead of trying to back it out through the top, especially if the head of the set screw is below the top of the saddle, all the rust and gunk tends to gum up the threads a bit.

these are most likely the relacement screws you would need: http://www.allparts.com/Black-Metric-Gu ... 49-003.htm
fredrum
Court Jester

Postby crowdaddy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:32 pm

fantastic, I know that will work. Thanks again! :arrow:
crowdaddy
Certified

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips