Adding locking nut to Strat - what are my options?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Adding locking nut to Strat - what are my options?

Postby firstamongequal on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:29 am

Just picked up a modded 1970's reissue Strat which has had a Floyd Rose trem installed. No locking nut was installed though.

It's the 70's reissue so they have the bullet tyle truss rood which pokes out a bit at the top of the neck.

I want to add a locking nut, and wanted to know whether there was a way of doing this satisfactorily without having the existing nut replaced by a new locking nut as I'd rather not have to pay my tech for yet more work!

i.e. could I just add a Kahler style behind the nut clamp, together with a string retaining bar? Would this work?
Any thoughts welcome:)

Thanks
Alex
1999 Gibson SG Standard, 2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 1995 Orville Les Paul Custom, Hotrodded Fender 1970's Reissue Strat, Sound City L120, 1979 Marshall JMP 2203, 1978 Marshall 1960B.
firstamongequal
Certified

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips