Hiss only when not touching strings.

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Hiss only when not touching strings.

Postby RC_Matthias on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Hey all,

I was just testing out my brandnew Hiwatt DR-103 on certain volumes... Well, let's say I moved some things around the livingroom just by playing, it was rather loud. And I noticed that it indeed stays magnificently clean at these volumes but my guitar (a MIM classic player's 70's strat with Lindy Fralin woodstock 69 pups) seems to send a hissy signal to the amp only when I'm not touching the strings... Any explanation or solution for this? Although I have a feeling it will be something extremely simple...

CHeers,
Matthias
Hiwatt DR103 - 1978
Hiwatt SE4123 - 1974 (?)
HI-Tone, DR-F Loaded 4x12 Cabinet - 2010
Klira SG - 1970
Klira Hollow Paul - 1960's
Fender MIM Strat classic '60s RI - 2007
Univox Superfuzz Clone
RC_Matthias
Page

Re: Hiss only when not touching strings.

Postby Vortexion on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi Matthias,

It's quite normal (although I'm a bit surprised that you describe it as a hiss - it's usually more of a buzz). It's nothing specific to your HiWatt or your guitar, and there's nothing actually wrong. Your guitar pickups are picking up electromagnetic interference from the environment. It's something all pickups do - even humbuckers do it to some extent. When you touch the strings or metalwork of the guitar, your big wet human body gets grounded, and so acts as a very good screen against such interference.

If you've only started noticing this now you've got the DR103, it could be that the amp is just brighter than your previous one, or that its input impedance is influencing things. Either way, as I say, it's normal and nothing to worry about. As to why it's a hiss and not a buzz, I can't give a definitive answer. Maybe your pickups are receiving some variety of radio or mobile phone carrier signal and transposing it down to an audible 'fizz'. :dunno:

It would be interesting to take your rig somewhere else and see if the noise goes away or alters.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby RC_Matthias on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Hey and thanks for the quick repsonse!

It's indeed more buzzy than hissy, perhaps I've used the wrong definition for the sound ;)
And yeah, come to think of it, I was situated in the middle of my living room while surrounded by more than one electronic apparatus that could've caused the interference, so I'll just see on the next gig or at the rehearsalplace how it reacts ;)

I don't believe it is much brighter than my old fender, but probably just a shitload louder really!

Anyways, cheers for clearing this up for me!
~Matthias
Hiwatt DR103 - 1978
Hiwatt SE4123 - 1974 (?)
HI-Tone, DR-F Loaded 4x12 Cabinet - 2010
Klira SG - 1970
Klira Hollow Paul - 1960's
Fender MIM Strat classic '60s RI - 2007
Univox Superfuzz Clone
RC_Matthias
Page

Postby Vortexion on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Always a pleasure to be useful, and always nice to get an acknowledgement. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Ken
Vortexion
Newt

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips