Tubes light up, but no sound. (Silvertone 1485)

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Tubes light up, but no sound. (Silvertone 1485)

Postby uwood49 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:47 pm

I rebuilt a Silvertone 1485 this summer. It's my first tube amp and the 1st amp I ever tried to work on. I got the amplifier at a yard sale for 75 bucks. It had all the original tubes and we plugged it and it appeared to work. I got it home. Plugged it in and the choke transformer started smoking after 10 minutes in the operate position. So, I decided to try and repair it. I got all new cabs (original ones were in there), diodes, replaced resisters, choke transformer, new tubes and a three prong cord. It took me alot of time, but with the help of thirdman333 posts on this forum, I got through it. I plugged her in and all the tubes fired up. I was pumped.

Yesterday, I purchased a Music Man 212 RH from a music shop and talked about matching the impedance, plus it has some 1970's Jensen CN12 speakers in it. He said it would make a nice match. I got it home, plugged it in and NO sound what so ever. I tried switching the using both imputs on the back of the head and nothing worked. Then, I tried all the different channels of the head and still nothing. Broke my heart, I was so excited.

Does anyone know whats up? The inputs were dirty, I'll try cleaning them but there was no sound at all. I'm not sure what to do or what to look for. Any help would be much appreciated. If anyone wants me to take pics of anything I can do that and post them on photobucket. Help a brother out, lol.
uwood49
Peasant

Re: Tubes light up, but no sound. (Silvertone 1485)

Postby uwood49 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:15 am

Correction:
There is a hum coming from the speakers. When I unplug the cab, there is no slight hum.
I was thinking about it tonight, and I think I remember the 1485 jolting when I turned the amp from standby to operate, before I did anything to it. Now it doesn't do that. Maybe I put hooked up the choke wrong or the 3 prong. I'm not sure. I tried it with 2 guitars and both produce no sound and work in my other amp. The connections look good for the output jacks.
uwood49
Peasant

Re: Tubes light up, but no sound. (Silvertone 1485)

Postby ragtweed on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:42 am

One thing you DON'T want to do is UNPLUG the speaker cab with the head powered up. Output transformers no likee that! Another thing is that when tubes "light up" what you are seeing is the glow from the heaters and this does not necessarily confirm that the tubes are okay. Wish I could help more, but I would need more info.
I got my mojo workin'
ragtweed
Squire

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips