Guitar Woes. :( Tradition Les Paul.

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Guitar Woes. :( Tradition Les Paul.

Postby carryonplease on Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 pm

I really loved this guitar when I bought it. Now no one seems to be able to fix the issues I am having.

I have a Tradition LP copy. Nothing spectacular but its nicer than most epiphone les pauls i've played and lower end Gibsons.

I play in Drop C with 12 gauge strings. After a few months of playing I went from 11s to 12s without a set-up since I guessed (wrongly) that this wouldn't be a big deal. Soon I experienced buzzing on my lower strings and a strange phenomenon where my low C was never in tune because when I dig in to the guitar it would go sharp, and if i tuned it sharp it would go flat after the attack.

So I have had my friend who does a great job on set ups, set up the guitar a few times. Although he was able to make the strange low C string tuning problem lessen, the buzzing was still there and the intonation was out of whack. He told me it looked like a needed a new nut. And i agreed.

So i bring it in to a professional. He puts on a bone nut, and does his own set up in drop C. I go into pick it up, and he lets me sit down and play it for awhile, but i was nervous and didn't really do a thorough job. I get home and the Low C string still buzzes on almost every fret and the weird tuning issue with the low C string is back. I sent him an email asking him what the deal was, being nice because It may just me my guitar that just isn't cut out for the job. And besides this, the guitar plays and sounds better than it ever has. Its just the two main issues I thought the new nut would fix are still issues.

But seriously does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? The action is not too low and the guy who set it up has quite the reputation. Its still playable I just wish this little annoyances could go away.
carryonplease
Peasant

Re: Guitar Woes. :( Tradition Les Paul.

Postby MichaelE on Wed May 19, 2010 3:25 pm

If the neck is adjusted properly, it sounds as if you're going to have to sacrifice some string height to get the buzzing to stop.

Have you checked to see if all of the frets are level?
MichaelE
Page

Postby carryonplease on Mon May 24, 2010 12:16 am

i actually took it back to him and he noticed some unlevel frets and he said he would spot level them for me for cheap. i assume this is something i want to do.

also when i took it back he opened the neck up and raised the action and the low string still buzzed. so i assume the fret level is the only thing left i can do.

should i just go for a full refret though? would that even be worth it? how much does that usually cost?
carryonplease
Peasant

Postby fredrum on Tue May 25, 2010 5:05 am

when using thick strings in a drop tuning youre gonna fet some fret buzz, that just they way it goes with that kind of stuff. getting a new nut was probably the right call, it usually goes a long way.......i dont know how many times ive had to make new nuts for some kids epiphone because he broke the old one putting 13-72 gauge strings on so he could tune down to f stupid......anyway, i second raising the action.....thick string plus low tuning plus standard guitar scale length means buzz........

i definitely wouldnt recommend a refret, it wont be worth it, ive never heard of anyone charging les than $200, and while it would make your guitar play slightly better, it probably wont solve your problem
fredrum
Court Jester

Postby MichaelE on Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 pm

I wouldn't go for a full refret on a cheaper copy. A leveling should suffice with a little more string altitude.
MichaelE
Page

Postby carryonplease on Thu May 27, 2010 3:08 am

ok thanks, yea i'll get the fret level and deal with the buzz if it still there. thanks for the opinion!
carryonplease
Peasant

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips