1975 Katrina Strat

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

1975 Katrina Strat

Postby Fret Meister on Wed May 12, 2010 3:38 am

This is a 1975 Fender Strat that had the misfortune of being in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The guitar was given to me after the strorm and was basically destroyed.

All the hardware except the pickguard and electronics were there but very rusted and water damaged. I decided to make it at least playable and in the end couldn't believe how well it played and sounded. i used a set of Suhr v60 pickups and all standard American Strat electronics.

I'm not a big fan of 3 bolt mid 70'S Strats but I had the pickguard and everything it would take to put it back together. Knowing I could never make this guitar look new, I went as far as I felt I should and ended up with one of the best sounding Strats I ever heard. Here is a link to a slide show. If it moves too fast you can hit the pause button and advance from there. Take Care, Chris.
Fret Meister
Karnac

Re: 1975 Katrina Strat

Postby lyman on Wed May 12, 2010 3:30 pm

awesome job on restoring that guitar. you're right, the water stains are kinda cool looking, and an interesting reminder of its history. maybe that will be the next big "relic" trend! ha ha.
lyman
Certified

Re: 1975 Katrina Strat

Postby MichaelE on Thu May 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Very good job on that restoration. I too like the water stains. Gives it some character.
MichaelE
Page

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips