Wiring problem - Les Paul

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Wiring problem - Les Paul

Postby firstamongequal on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 am

Morning all

Wondering if anyone can assist. I have a 1990's Orville Les paul Custom which has a strange problem with the volume controls.

Basically, if I turn the neck volume off, it also shuts the bridge pickup off, even when the toggle switch is in the bridge position. It also sounds as if the bridge loses a bit of grunt when the neck volume is on full, and sounds full when the neck volume is turned down very slightly.

Would the toggle switch be the likely culprit?

Cheers
1999 Gibson SG Standard, 2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 1995 Orville Les Paul Custom, Hotrodded Fender 1970's Reissue Strat, Sound City L120, 1979 Marshall JMP 2203, 1978 Marshall 1960B.
firstamongequal
Certified

Re: Wiring problem - Les Paul

Postby 5 Trumpets on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:07 am

It's probably just how it's wired. Gibson used 2 different ways to wire LP's, commonly referred to as "50s" or "modern". Check out this thread from LPF.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=88796
aka: Mars Hall

5 Trumpets
Certified

Re: Wiring problem - Les Paul

Postby ragtweed on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 am

Yeah, sounds like the interactive volume control wiring scheme at work here.
I got my mojo workin'
ragtweed
Squire

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips