fill & re-drill bridge bushing?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

fill & re-drill bridge bushing?

Postby aaron. on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 pm

I have a Gibson SG jr. made around the year 2000. Although it has a stoptail bridge, the studs are angled the same as a tune-o-matic. I've had to adjust the high e side as far back as it will go for intonation, which has not only warped the bridge over the last 7 years of playing, but recently snapped the head off a TonePros locking stud.

I want to move the bridge stud for the high e side to where the bridge properly intonates without absurd adjustment. I've never done this before.

I found this Instructable explaining how to remove the old bushing, but my guitar still has finish and I don't want to rip chunks of it out. Any tips?
Since I don't own a drill press, any solutions for drilling a perfect new hole for the bushing?
Will I need to glue the new bushing; anything I need to know when putting it in?
How much should I expect to pay a luthier to do this?
(In your opinion) Any benefit to choosing a particular wood to fill the old hole?

Thanks.
aaron.
Court Jester

Re: fill & re-drill bridge bushing?

Postby 57lpjr on Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 am

That definitely is a job for a professional based on what you have posted.
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby MichaelE on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:03 am

Drop a 3/4" flat head screw into the bushing head first and thread the post in. It will pull the bushing out. Turn the guitar over and the screw will fall out.

Like 57lpjr said, if you're not handy in the wood shop, take it to a pro.
MichaelE
Page

Postby PeterS on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Drop a 3/4" flat head screw into the bushing head first and thread the post in. It will pull the bushing out.

That's a handy trick to know.
PeterS
King

Postby Tricky1 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:20 am

To get new bushings to go in easier, put them in the freezer. I wouldn't drill bushing holes without a drill press.
Tricky1
Peasant

Postby aaron. on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Here's what prompted me to have it "repaired".
The bridge at the end of it's screw, barely in contact with the stud. The bridge warped because of this, and snapped off the TonePros stud/head.

I took it to Parson's Guitar Repair, Tukwila WA location. 8 days and US$65.70 later, I got the guitar back, took it home, and took off the pickguard. IT LOOKS TERRIBLE. The guy pulled the bushing out and filled the hole with a dowel, so far so good.
Then he drilled a new hole, filled it with another dowel, and then drilled another hole that is not only slightly crooked, it's got a loose gap on one side of the bushing, isn't countersunk and sticks up more on the "butt" side, tilting the bridge post forward a bit. The high "e" string didn't transfer any vibration into the body, like the low "E" does.
beautiful.

Originally, the bushings are countersunk and finished over. Look closely, you can see the knurls around the edge of the bushing because it sticks above the wood.

So, what now? If I can find a luthier who knows what they're doing, is this save-able?
aaron.
Court Jester

Postby Gooch on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 am

That's a shame. All you needed to do was replace the bridge with either a smooth wraparound or a Badass-type bridge and it should have been okay. Compensated, or "stairstep" bridges, were designed to go with straight across, non-offset posts.
Dying ain't much of a living.
Gooch
Baron

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips