Two pickup types - What volume pot?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Two pickup types - What volume pot?

Postby spellcaster on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:33 pm

I'm building a Telecaster Thinline with a Gretsch Filtertron neck pickup and a GFS Mean 90 bridge pickup. Do I need a 250K or 500K volume pot?
"I know just enough to be dangerous...."
spellcaster
Peasant

Re: Two pickup types - What volume pot?

Postby gretsch58 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I would use 250k. 500k will make that bridge P-90 sound really bright. unless that is what you are going for?. 500k is recommended for humbuckers. It really depends on what pickup you will be using most of the time. You could also try 300k, sort of meeting each pup half way. Or try all 3 and listen to what you like the best for this application.
Why Behave in public if your living on a playground?
www.18wheeler.net
www.groshguitars.com
gretsch58
Certified

Re: Two pickup types - What volume pot?

Postby madjackhatter on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:40 am

Your ears are the ultimate judge, but the first thing I would try a 300K pot on volume and 500K on tone with a .047 to roll off a little extra of the inherant zing those pups will have. Trial and error(s) seem to be the thought of the day when doing a Frankenpickup job... :wink:
Recordings from Kerosene Highway and Madjackhatter here...
https://soundcloud.com/kerosene-highway
madjackhatter
Mad Baron

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips