telecaster pickups

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

telecaster pickups

Postby PeterS on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:56 am

I bought a 94 Mexican telecaster, oddball one with a Fender logo and "squier series" on the headstock. Very nice maple neck, horrible electronics. The pickups sound not-so-good. I have a pair of Seymour Duncan quarter pounders lying around so I put those in, and they're not bad, but they don't sound much like a telecaster, they're a bit muddy.

Meanwhile a friend offered to sell me a pair of pickups he got out of a recent American telecaster. Anybody have any experience with those, and can comment on what they sound like?
PeterS
King

Re: telecaster pickups

Postby welshman on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:34 am

if you can afford it change the pots and cap at same time as you will not get best out of whatever pickup you use in there. as for the USA standard pickups perfectly good pickups for most styles. :cheers:
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
www.myspace.com/flatlandboogieband
welshman
Knight

Re: telecaster pickups

Postby PeterS on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:19 pm

Maybe I should try them, can always sell them... thanks Welshman. I replaced the pots, cap, jack and switch. Those cheap Chinese pickup switches require very little force to throw, you barely touch it while playing and suddenly you're on the other pickup...
PeterS
King

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips