Anyone swap out ceramic caps in their guitar?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Anyone swap out ceramic caps in their guitar?

Postby gusfinley on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:34 pm

I've been thinking of changing out the ceramic caps in my guitar for something else.

Anyone have any comments on swapping out their ceramics with sozos, orange drops, mojo dijons or mallory 150's? How did it change the guitar's sound?
gusfinley
Knight

Re: Anyone swap out ceramic caps in their guitar?

Postby kominak on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 am

I bought the "vintage" kit from RS Guitarworks for my strat, there's an paper-in-oil jensen cap in there. I'm really happy with the sound, finally can use the controls on my guitar and the tone is great - that classic "woody" strat tone I've been looking for.
kominak
Certified

Postby Tman on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

I used .015uf Orange Drops in an old Ibanez Destroyer of mine which were an improvement. I used an RS guitar Works kit in my Lester and it made a world of difference. The controls actually work now instead of operating like an on off switch. I highly recomend the RS kit. :thumbsup:
Tman
Knight

Postby demonufo on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 pm

[quote="Tman"]The controls actually work now instead of operating like an on off switch.quote]
That's all to do with the taper of the pot, and nothing to do with the caps, that said I do like the RS kits.
Really liking mustards in guitars too.
Apparently sozo's aren't that great in guitars, despite them being the closest thing on the planet to mustards.
Last time I put orange drops in, it didn't really sound any different to the tantalum beads I had in before them, but that was a long time ago, and I doubt I appreciated the difference then as I do nowadays.
Git orffff moi lannnddddd!!

http://www.myspace.com/molotovsexbomb
demonufo
Baron

Postby gusfinley on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:25 am

I got myself a $90 Epiphone Les Paul junior to throw in the corner to encourage practicing. I'm gonna throw a GFS mean 90 (P-90 in humbucker case) in there and upgrade the lectronics. It'll be my experiment before modifying my 'real' guitars. I was thinking about a mojo dijon, which are supposed to be somewhere between a sozo and a mallory 150- maybe I should just stick to the mallory 150 after hearing about the sozos....
gusfinley
Knight

Postby The How on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:34 pm

I'll +1 the Rs Guitarworks stuff. in addition to caps, change the pots to some decent audio tapers. You will notice a big change. It'll make that $90 guitar sound like a $300 guitar :D
Warning Level (1)
The How
none

Postby gusfinley on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:50 am

Like I said, I hit Guitar Center on Labor Day and landed a $90 Epiphone Junior. It came with a single humbucker. When I cracked it open, I was surprised to at least see alpha full sized pots, a non-ceramic-disk capacitor and a pretty decent jack- not bad for a $100 guitar.

I measured the centers of the pots and built myself a template to do the soldering on. I used MojoTone branded CTS 500K Audio Pots some vintage shielded push-back wire and a mallory 150 .047 uF cap. I installed the pots on the template and soldered everything up until I only had the pickup leads and bridge ground wire left.

I installed the GFS Black Mean 90 pickup and it dropped in beautifully.

I had to drill out the old pot mounting holes to 3/8" and even then the pots didn't fit! I had to use a 1/2" bit to bore out a place for the places were the CTS body was a little wider. When I drilled out the holes to 3/8" there was some some tear-out in the finish (both the color and the laquer) but the washer on the pots covered it up.

I popped in the pots which now went perfectly into place, soldered up the pickup lead and bridge ground, installed some Amber top hat knobs and now I'm Rockin'

So instead of an $800 Gibson junior I got myself a $170 version that my two year old can break without me crying.

Here is a before and after pic.
epi_lp_juinor_sm.jpg
gusfinley
Knight

Postby MichaelE on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:45 am

To avoid the tear-out when drilling, use a spade bit with a wood backer. Works every time.

Avoid using a twist drill bit.
MichaelE
Page

Postby detronati on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:05 am

kominak wrote:I bought the "vintage" kit from RS Guitarworks for my strat, there's an paper-in-oil jensen cap in there. I'm really happy with the sound, finally can use the controls on my guitar and the tone is great - that classic "woody" strat tone I've been looking for.

I'm glad to hear this Kominak. I am considering doing the same for my '62 AVRI Strat.
detronati
Certified

Postby elda on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 am

I have auditioned sozo's, 150's, and orange drops. In all truth, I did not hear/feel a noticeable difference. I found change in value to have more influence on the sound than anything else. Never have had the chance to hear the paper in oil caps
elda
Court Jester

Postby AC50 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:00 am

elda wrote:I have auditioned sozo's, 150's, and orange drops. In all truth, I did not hear/feel a noticeable difference. I found change in value to have more influence on the sound than anything else. Never have had the chance to hear the paper in oil caps

Been there, done that. Waste of time and money. They all filter out treble frequencies. As you said, the value is the key.
AC50
Emperor

Postby thirdman333 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:39 am

Been there, done that. Waste of time and money. They all filter out treble frequencies. As you said, the value is the key

+1 tone caps in guitar i dont think have nearly as big of an impact that tone caps in amps have IMHO i have tried a bunch of caps ceramics and 150 mallorys. the biggest way to improve your guitars tone electronically other than pick-ups are pots getting quality pots is huge i like CTS very smooth solid readings i would like to try a RS cap if i can ever justify spending that kinda dough on a cap
Never met a wise man if so its a woman
thirdman333
Squire

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips