DR Strings and I are done, professionally.

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

DR Strings and I are done, professionally.

Postby bscepter on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:46 am

first off, let me say that i love DR Pure Blues nickel strings. they play better and last longer than anything i've ever tried.

but recently, they've started putting two strings in a single envelope, so each six-string pack has three envelopes containing the 1st/4th, 2nd/5th and 3rd/6th strings, respectively, and when you remove one, the other pops out with it. unfortunately, since they don't color code the ball ends and i don't happen to keep a micrometer in my gig bag, it means that changing strings is a massive pain in the @ss - especially in a darkened backstage situation (i change strings one at a time so i don't mess up the bridge height or lose saddles from my les paul's bridge).

so... i need string recommendations. i play 11s - 11-50 with DR and 11-49 (i think) with d'addario before that. i'm thinking about going back to d'addario, but i would certainly entertain others. what say you about ernie ball or dean markley?
bscepter
Knight

Re: DR Strings and I are done, professionally.

Postby g60_dave on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Rotosound. I swear by them. Always have done.
g60_dave
Page

Postby bscepter on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:02 pm

g60_dave wrote:Rotosound. I swear by them. Always have done.

i guess i only thought of them for bass strings. thanks!
bscepter
Knight

Postby g60_dave on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 pm

I grew up like all the people I knew using slinkys but accidently bought a set of roto yellows and never looked back. Made in UK, used by a lot of artist I like. I wish I could afford Elixir all the time but restringing 3 guitars every 2-3 weeks would bankrupt me (about £15 a set in the UK). I get 3 sets of roto's for £10 delivered off ebay.
g60_dave
Page

Postby bscepter on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 pm

g60_dave wrote:I grew up like all the people I knew using slinkys but accidently bought a set of roto yellows and never looked back. Made in UK, used by a lot of artist I like. I wish I could afford Elixir all the time but restringing 3 guitars every 2-3 weeks would bankrupt me (about £15 a set in the UK). I get 3 sets of roto's for £10 delivered off ebay.

isn't the point of elixirs that you don't have to restring every 2-3 weeks? i usually restring mine that often (if not more so), but i use d'addario EXPs (coated strings) on my acoustic and they're good for 3-6 months of fairly heavy playing.

incidentally, i just ordered two packs of pyramid strings. we'll see how they turn out. they're pricy enough!
bscepter
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 pm

bscepter wrote:first off, let me say that i love DR Pure Blues nickel strings. they play better and last longer than anything i've ever tried.

but recently, they've started putting two strings in a single envelope, so each six-string pack has three envelopes containing the 1st/4th, 2nd/5th and 3rd/6th strings, respectively, and when you remove one, the other pops out with it. unfortunately, since they don't color code the ball ends and i don't happen to keep a micrometer in my gig bag, it means that changing strings is a massive pain in the @ss - especially in a darkened backstage situation (i change strings one at a time so i don't mess up the bridge height or lose saddles from my les paul's bridge).

so... i need string recommendations. i play 11s - 11-50 with DR and 11-49 (i think) with d'addario before that. i'm thinking about going back to d'addario, but i would certainly entertain others. what say you about ernie ball or dean markley?

I don't understand. Are you saying you can't tell the difference in the dark between a plain .011 and a wound .028? I use DR's and I'm glad they're using less packaging. If you take them out in pairs, it's pretty darn easy to tell them apart. Just don't dump all 6 out at once... FWIW I used D'Addario's for 25 years and since I started using DR's a few years ago, I've never looked back. YMMV
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby bscepter on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 pm

Peteyvee wrote:
bscepter wrote:first off, let me say that i love DR Pure Blues nickel strings. they play better and last longer than anything i've ever tried.

I don't understand. Are you saying you can't tell the difference in the dark between a plain .011 and a wound .028? I use DR's and I'm glad they're using less packaging. If you take them out in pairs, it's pretty darn easy to tell them apart. Just don't dump all 6 out at once... FWIW I used D'Addario's for 25 years and since I started using DR's a few years ago, I've never looked back. YMMV

the main difficulty for me is, if you take one out, the other pops out, too, which i find to be a pain - especially because i change my strings in order.
bscepter
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:03 pm

Oh, now I see why it's a pain in the neck for you. I seem to have better tuning stability by changing them either from the outside in or high E, D, B , A, G ,E like they are in the packages. It doesn't seem to matter on Fenders, but on my LP's and 335 it does. I've been doing that (outside in) for years anyway, so to me it seems natural. I guess it's another case of whatever works best for the individual player and guitar. :cheers:
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby bscepter on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 am

Peteyvee wrote:Oh, now I see why it's a pain in the neck for you. I seem to have better tuning stability by changing them either from the outside in or high E, D, B , A, G ,E like they are in the packages. It doesn't seem to matter on Fenders, but on my LP's and 335 it does. I've been doing that (outside in) for years anyway, so to me it seems natural. I guess it's another case of whatever works best for the individual player and guitar. :cheers:

to each his own, i guess. in any case, i'm trying out the pyramids at the moment. they certainly feel nice. it's true - my 11s feel like 10s. now if they actually last longer as they claim - they may be worth the high price.
bscepter
Knight

Postby welshman on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:33 pm

i`m sorry you are changing a quality set of strings that you like , because packaging is not right for you ? :?
try buying a few sets at a time and organise them, or maybe just maybe get used to it :lol:
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
www.myspace.com/flatlandboogieband
welshman
Knight

Postby PeterS on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:58 pm

I've been using Ernie Ball for a decade or so and I'm happy with them.
PeterS
King

Postby MichaelE on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:19 am

Same here. Haven't broken one since I switched from Elixer & DM.
MichaelE
Page

Postby firebirdjake on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 pm

I just switched to the DRs from D'Addario! Crazy bass ackwards world, huh? Gotta say I like the 11-50s and am with Peteyvee on the restringing thing. Whatever works best for you, but I'll live with the packaging which I find simpler than D'A's in the dark of backstage. :dunno: Jake.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby 5 Trumpets on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:25 am

I recently went through a string "spell". I've played EB Slinkys for years. After reading some positive feedback on forums similar to this one, I tried DR Blues Pure Nickel. I really like the way they felt and sounded, but the D string on all three sets I tried, had this sitar type buzz. I paid very close attention when installing, due to the warning about the handmade construction. I put a new EB back on, instantly the buzz was gone. I really like the idea of the round core and hoped these string would do it for me. I've recently had the frets leveled on my guitar, maybe I'll give them another chance.

Seeking something I could use with the round core construction, I heard about the Dean Markley Reissue string. I tried a set and they seemed to work for me. I noticed GC had a sale on them for $3 per pack, so I bought whole box, I think 12 packs in all. I soon found out why they were blowing them out. Just about every other pack had G string with a bend in the middle of the string, that could still be felt when tuned to pitch and would cause that annoying buzz. This was the case on several different guitars.

Needless to say I'm back with the Slinkys. They may not be pure nickel or have a true round inner core, but they sure don't buzz on any of my guitars.
aka: Mars Hall

5 Trumpets
Certified

Postby speedemon on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Ja,

hier auch! Bought Ernie Ball in my youth, went through GHS, D'Addario. Tried DR, disappointing. Been using Everly X Rockers, love 'em. Have used Ernie Balls as emergency replacements, much better than the strings I bought from them in my youth.
speedemon
Peasant

Next

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips