Les Paul Classic Returns !

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Les Paul Classic Returns !

Postby 52Boomer on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:36 pm

I just returned with the LP Classic I sold to my friend when I needed some cash. Today, after over five years I got it back. I tried to polish it up and hide some of the scratches it got while in my friend's possession. Here, I am trying to glue together a pickup ring. There is some vertical finish checking around the tone controls and tune-o-matic. I added some gold hardware in a few places. SN is 0 940 (?)

Look, no green 'aged inlays' !
" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Re: Les Paul Classic Returns !

Postby 52Boomer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Here it is again, a work in progress. I was unable to obtain the correct new pickup rings locally, so I have a pair on order. Looks funky. 8)

52Boomer
Prince

Postby 52Boomer on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:48 pm

Unique features to the Les Paul Classic. First many coats of Gibson guitar polish to hide scratches :arrow:
Added bulk to the carved neck area :?:
Flawed gold paint around the binding :(
52Boomer
Prince

Postby 52Boomer on Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:59 pm

At first, I compared the Classic to my Gary Moore LP with Burstbuckers and a Vintage RS tone control kit, and the GMLP sounded way better. The Classic LP with the SD alnicos sounded a little weak in comparison, so I figured it needed new pots, etc. But first, I shot some R5 anti-static spray into the pots, which have a small vent in them, and after plugging in again, the guitar was much more robust sounding. 8)

I'm not saying that you shouldn't upgrade your electronics. I'm just saying keep your pots clean and you will notice a difference. :idea:
52Boomer
Prince

Postby 52Boomer on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Let's talk price. I needed cash and my friend and I decided that $850 was OK maybe 8 or 9 years ago. I just got it back for the same $850. I feel the need to celebrate :!: Music, Please :arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzeq-tEmQmQ

Another picture for your enjoyment.
52Boomer
Prince

Postby Herec on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:03 am

There was this one burst Classic that I played a few times year ago at a local guitar shop, with the pickguard that had 1960 in gold on the edge that was amazing to play. Now its gone, probably sold to some miscreant...
Oh that night you said my wife was fat I knocked you down and sh*t in your hat!
Herec
Squire

Postby 52Boomer on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:19 am

Got some parts in today. here's a shot of the new proper pickup shells :

New cream tuners :

Here's the serial number that I can't figure out :

52Boomer
Prince

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:47 am

52Boomer wrote:Here it is again, a work in progress. I was unable to obtain the correct new pickup rings locally, so I have a pair on order. Looks funky. 8)

The Neck Pickup's mounting ring is just on "backwards"...take the pickup out of the ring, spin it around, you'll be fine...
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby pckpat on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:13 am

that's a nice-lookin' goldie,boomer 8) some of the burst classics are real pretty too-one could easily replace the ceramics,but how to get rid of the green trapezoids?bet you're glad they didn't put them in yours.
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby 52Boomer on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:09 pm

I just received an Email from a Gibson Rep stating that the serial number 0 940 is an early 1990 model, and 940 determines it to be the 940th Les Paul Classic made. Once the numbers had reached 0 999, they went to a four digit number following the year. So, now I know :!:

Another thing that i had found out previously, is that when gold paint is used, that day is set aside for gold painted guitars only, and only that color is used. They didn't want gold sparkles in the air settling down on any of the other guitars. :idea:
52Boomer
Prince

Postby acesteele on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:50 pm

That's one sweet Les Paul Classic !
Am I correct in assuming that it wasn't the norm for the entire body ^ neck to be sprayed with the gold?
Didn't they usually just make it a gold top? And the rest of the body be finished mahogany color?
I like it much better w/ the complete guitar gold.
acesteele
Peasant

Postby 52Boomer on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:49 pm

I saw in a book about Les Paul guitars where there were vintage Les Pauls all the way back to the beginning where they had been painted gold all over. The gold color may have been a vintage gold instead of the bullion gold of the Classic. I like the gold color with lots of cream plastic.

I am trying to decide on a lightweight tailpiece. The allparts tailpiece is not quite as big as an original, but it comes with studs and fits snugly. The RS and other brands come in aged nickel, but when you add the (locking) studs the price goes much higher. I want to be sure it fits tight if I only buy the aged nickel tailpiece.
52Boomer
Prince

Postby 52Boomer on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Yet another picture :!: This time I have restrung the guitar and added a Faber aged-aluminum tailpiece. I guess my next addition is the aged-locking TonePros Studs. I have taken the .015 Jensen Cap out of my other LP and put it on the Bridge Pickup. I guess there's not much more I can do, except to maybe try restringing it with some 10s. :arrow:

52Boomer
Prince

Postby 52Boomer on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:01 pm

I think I got it now. :arrow: I put on the TonePros Studs to go with the Faber Aluminum Tailpiece. Didn't take long, and I didn't have to change the strings. I was going to try to 'age' the studs to match the tailpiece, but it looks like I've got a 'zebra' thing going with the mixture of old and new.

52Boomer
Prince

Postby 52Boomer on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:02 am

The vertical finish checking must have come from it getting banged into by something. Two of the knobs have cracks in them. Mojo :?:

52Boomer
Prince

Next

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips