Strats and reverse bridge pup angle...your thoughts?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Strats and reverse bridge pup angle...your thoughts?

Postby Freedom on Wed May 06, 2009 10:30 am

I've read somewhere that Leo choose the angled bridge position (thinner string pup poles closer to the bridge, thicker string pup poles away from the bridge) because at that time the amps were pretty dark sounding so by doing that he gave the chance to the strat users to have a more sparkling sound when choosing the bridge pick up...

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has experienced how the same bridge pickup (signle coil that is) sounds on the same guitar (strat i guess) when it's been installed with the classic way and the reverse bridge angle...

I guess its a shot in the dark cause it requires a SSH routing body (or at least thats the easy way) and a new pickguard with the correct bridge pup angle, but what the heck you never know... ;)

Thanks in advance guys.

Nick

PS: lets leave out of the discussion the reversed poles pups, i am only intrested in the reverse angle of the bridge pick up
Last edited by Freedom on Wed May 06, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom
Freedom
Certified

Re: Strats and reverse bridge pup angle...your thoughts?

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 am

I had always read that it was purely aesthetic....... :dunno:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Noel on Thu May 07, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm normally not really a single coil Strat guy; well I've had a few. But I played a bud's Hendrix Strat, the right-handed one with the reverse bridge setup, and I gotta say, the reverse angle really worked.
Go figure. Listen to the Hendrix, especially "In the West" and "Band of Gypsies" LPs, and you can really hear how that reverse bridge PU thang gave a nice 'karang' that I normally don't hear in a strat. I bring up those 2 live LP/CDs because there are a few times you can hear the bridge without the Fuzz Face on. Sounds really nice and full vs. a regular Strat. If I ever do get (or build) a Strat, I'm going to get one with the reverse angle bridge PU.
I think Leo, in '52-3 angled the PU that direction to get more steel sounds out of a guitar.

A/B in the same guitar, I couldn't tell you. You'd have to route the cavity to do the reverse (unless you used a universal route). That would likely taint the A/B comparison somewhat. Strats seem to be finicky about wood. Ask the Strat guys how different their Alder and Swamp Ash Strats are.
1976 Ibanez Destroyer with routed Floyd Rose
2009 Carvin CS6C (Floyd Rose)
1974 Gibson LP Special 55
1987 Laney Pro Tube 30 Wt Head
1986 Keith Reinneger Reinowatt 50 (hot rodded 2204 Circuit)
1974 Orange 4x12 with 2 Weber Silver Bells and 2 Weber-reconed H30 55hz
Noel
Knight

Postby 52Boomer on Thu May 07, 2009 5:46 pm

There is a Fender Artist Series Stratocaster with the reverse angled pickup. :arrow:

" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Postby dean on Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 pm

I have never done this with a Strat, but I have used left-handed bridges on Teles with good results. Reversing the angle yields more articulation on the low end and warms up the treble side.
dean
Baron

Postby GuitarBob on Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Always sounded like a better idea to me too.
Listen to 'Misirlou' by Dick Dale [intro to the movie Pulp Fiction, for example]. That's why that big E string gets to popping so mightily!!
GuitarBob
Peasant

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips