Quick Question on Gibson L6S Pickup Wiring

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Quick Question on Gibson L6S Pickup Wiring

Postby lkb23 on Tue May 05, 2009 6:05 pm

I need to replace the bridge pickup on my L6S because it is microphonic and I really don't want to spend the time & effort to wax pot it...the guitar has this weird 6-position dial for different in phase/out of phase pickup options. For the replacement pickup, do I need one with 2 or 4 wires?

THANKS!!
www.myspace.com/brandnewgods
www.myspace.com/levkalman

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
my manifestation and guide
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Re: Quick Question on Gibson L6S Pickup Wiring

Postby Peteyvee on Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 pm

lkb23 wrote:I need to replace the bridge pickup on my L6S because it is microphonic and I really don't want to spend the time & effort to wax pot it...the guitar has this weird 6-position dial for different in phase/out of phase pickup options. For the replacement pickup, do I need one with 2 or 4 wires?

THANKS!!

Dan Armstrong rewired mine and put new pickups in. I have the diagram in the case at home. I'll scan it and post it tomorrow. IIRC (it was 1982) the pickups have 2 wires but we'll know for sure tomorrow.
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby lkb23 on Tue May 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Peteyvee wrote:
lkb23 wrote:I need to replace the bridge pickup on my L6S because it is microphonic and I really don't want to spend the time & effort to wax pot it...the guitar has this weird 6-position dial for different in phase/out of phase pickup options. For the replacement pickup, do I need one with 2 or 4 wires?

THANKS!!

Dan Armstrong rewired mine and put new pickups in. I have the diagram in the case at home. I'll scan it and post it tomorrow. IIRC (it was 1982) the pickups have 2 wires but we'll know for sure tomorrow.

Much appreciated, thank you. I'm also debating whether to replace the 6-position switch with a Les Paul-type toggle, because the switch as it is is pretty useless.

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Tue May 05, 2009 6:52 pm

lkb23 wrote:
Peteyvee wrote:

THANKS!!

Much appreciated, thank you. I'm also debating whether to replace the 6-position switch with a Les Paul-type toggle, because the switch as it is is pretty useless.

Actually, if you rewire it like Dan did, it's not bad. 1= neck, 2=bridge, 3= both series, 4= both parallel, 5= both series out of phase, 6 = both parallel out of phase. The tone knobs split the coils above 9, below that they're still humbuckers. 21 settings and maybe 3 are useful...YMMV
Last edited by Peteyvee on Wed May 06, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby lkb23 on Tue May 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Do the tone knobs split the humbuckers after 9 even on the stock version of the guitar??

I like to switch between pickups often on the fly....with the rotary switch, its impossible for me to do that.

Thank you for your advice!

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 pm

lkb23 wrote:Do the tone knobs split the humbuckers after 9 even on the stock version of the guitar??

I like to switch between pickups often on the fly....with the rotary switch, its impossible for me to do that.

Thank you for your advice!

1.) No they don't and I hated the stock "Super Humbuckings", so Dan made me a pair of his. I'll post pics and wiring diagram tomorrow.

2.) You need a Les Paul...doesn't everybody? :laff:
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby Peteyvee on Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Here's the diagram and as soon as I can find a USB cable, I'll post some pics of the guitar. Looks like two wires per pickup to me...
L6S wiring diagram.jpg
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby lkb23 on Wed May 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Sure does. Thank you very much.

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Wed May 06, 2009 5:53 pm

And here's a closeup of "Leslie". I love how the lacquer has aged in the 31 years I've owned her...I'll crack the control cavity cover and get you a gut shot when I have some time. I have 8th row Dodger tickets for tonight's game and they're right behind the behind the visitor's dugout. Needless to say, I'll be busy watching baseball history being made! Go Dodgers!!
L6S Custom.jpg
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby lkb23 on Wed May 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks again - that is my exact guitar (except mine is w/ the original pickups). She is a beauty!

No need to take gut shots. I am going to take this to my repairman and have him replace the bridge pickup with a Duncan 59 - and I'll bring him your wiring diagram. I'm also going to keep the 6-position switch & tone controls as-is.

Truth and love
are my law and worship
Form and conscience
Nature and peace are
my shelter and companion
Order is my attitude
Beauty and perfection
Are my attack
lkb23
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Wed May 06, 2009 7:07 pm

lkb23 wrote:Thanks again - that is my exact guitar (except mine is w/ the original pickups). She is a beauty!

No need to take gut shots. I am going to take this to my repairman and have him replace the bridge pickup with a Duncan 59 - and I'll bring him your wiring diagram. I'm also going to keep the 6-position switch & tone controls as-is.

Cool. 8)
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips