Tune-O-Matic Saddle Screws

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Tune-O-Matic Saddle Screws

Postby wntbtw on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:45 am

Hi--does it matter which direction the 'saddle screws' on a Gibson 'Tune-O-Matic' bridge face? I know that the corresponding saddle needs to be matched w/ it`s 'assigned' string, but other than that, it shouldn`t matter which direction the 'saddle screws' face--is that correct? Thanks for reading this.
wntbtw
Peasant

Re: Tune-O-Matic Saddle Screws

Postby Vertec on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 am

nope, as long as the saddles can get the right range then no prob.... i've seen 2 08' Es335's one was normal the other the screws were on the p/u side.
though putting them on the p/u side might increase the chance of scratching the p/u cover if you have one or the screw driver may get attracted to it because of the magnetic plarity :mrgreen:
Vertec
Page

Postby wntbtw on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Vertec wrote:nope, as long as the saddles can get the right range then no prob.... i've seen 2 08' Es335's one was normal the other the screws were on the p/u side.
though putting them on the p/u side might increase the chance of scratching the p/u cover if you have one or the screw driver may get attracted to it because of the magnetic plarity :mrgreen:

Thanks--I don`t see how there would be a problem. And actually the guitars displayed on the Gibson web site have them in both positions. I emailed Gibson about this but they never responded :roll: Thanks again.
wntbtw
Peasant

Postby Vertec on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:35 am

wntbtw wrote:
Vertec wrote:nope, as long as the saddles can get the right range then no prob.... i've seen 2 08' Es335's one was normal the other the screws were on the p/u side.

Thanks--I don`t see how there would be a problem. And actually the guitars displayed on the Gibson web site have them in both positions. I emailed Gibson about this but they never responded :roll: Thanks again.

np :thumbsup:
Vertec
Page

Postby wntbtw on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Well, Gibson finally did reply to my email to them--they must`ve read this thread--ha ha! And they told me that the old ABR bridge is positioned so that the saddle screw 'heads' do face the the neck as opposed to facing the tailpiece. But now I wonder why the guitars seen on Gibson`s web site has them in both positions--hmm! Maybe i`m seeing some w/ Nashvile bridges which are to have the 'ss head' facing the tailpiece. At least that`s what the CS Dept at Gibson told me FWIW.
wntbtw
Peasant

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips