Vintage style strat bridge saddles

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Vintage style strat bridge saddles

Postby GrooveD70 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 am

I began breaking a lot of strings on my strat and borrowed a friend's dremel tool to get rid of some nasty grooves/burs that developed on the vintage style saddles, which seemed to eliminate the problem. I want to check be able to do this maintenance myself from time to time, but can't afford a dremel. Does anybody know of a cheaper alternative to use? I like the sound of the bridge so I don't really want to change the saddles...

Thanx!
"Led Zeppelin didn't want everyone to like them. They left that to the Bee Gees!"

-Wayne Campbell

http://www.myspace.com/shagwagondeluxe
GrooveD70
Peasant

Re: Vintage style strat bridge saddles

Postby Easto on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:14 pm

If the dremel abrasives are working why not just by a knife sharpening stone or a dremel bit and just take the extra time and do it by hand. You may want to smooth things out with some steel wool when you're done.
Easto
Certified

Postby chupy on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 pm

I start at a 220 grit sand paper and work myself up to a 400-800 grit to smooth things out. But eventually saddles do have to be replaced.

By the way they still make vintage style saddles if you need to replace'em.
chupy

Postby GrooveD70 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Kewl. Thanx guys!
"Led Zeppelin didn't want everyone to like them. They left that to the Bee Gees!"

-Wayne Campbell

http://www.myspace.com/shagwagondeluxe
GrooveD70
Peasant

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips