Skunk Stripes on Rosewood Necks ?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Skunk Stripes on Rosewood Necks ?

Postby 52Boomer on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Somewhere along the line Fender started making all their necks with "Skunk Stripes". I think that they look cheap and there is no reason to be doing this. I bought some MIC Strats for around $100 each and they don't have "Skunk Stripes". Here, I took a China neck and put it on a Korean body. The hardware is cheap, but not defective. :?

" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Re: Skunk Stripes on Rosewood Necks ?

Postby Mr. dB on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:38 pm

I think it was around 1969 when they changed over, and then did it that way all through the 1970s.

The original Fender necks were all-maple, with the skunk strupe to cover the rout for the truss rod. When they changed over to rosewood boards, there was no need to route the neck from the back, so the striped dissappeared. But there was a demand for the old-style maple fingerboards, so they started doing the "Maple Cap" necks, with a maple veneer fingerboard glued to the top of the neck just like the rosewood ones were done.

Around 1969 or so they decided to go back to the old way with the solid maple necks routed from the back. But someone in production decided that they can't make necks two ways at the same time, so they also started routing the rosewood ones from the back, hence the skunk stripe.

Now things at Fender are different, since they've gone from one Tele, one Strat, one P-bass, one J-bass, to 57 Varieties of each, so both the maple and rosewood boards are made the "correct" way.
Mr. dB
Prince

Postby 52Boomer on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:50 pm

I'm sure there are RIs and Custom Shop guitars that are made the old fashioned way. But the cost keeps going up. A USA '62 RI is over $1500, that's why I value my import creations. :dunno:

" Are you sure that you're not just imagining that ? "
52Boomer
Prince

Postby Benny on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:43 am

I personally think that skunk strips are brill....

first..... they look good... sexy :P
and

second..... the tone is better on the maple necks because its all one piece.
Benny
Peasant

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips