HELP! Intonation on resophonic guitar

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

HELP! Intonation on resophonic guitar

Postby ed_shred on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:48 pm

I bought a resophonic guitar just over a month ago, and decided to change the strings today. The only thing is, I didn't know you are supposed to change the strings one by one on a single cone biscuit bridge guitar, so I took them all off, and of course the whole cone and bridge started rattling around. I've re-strung it now, but the intonation is screwed... its about a quarter tone out at the twelfth fret. I'm about four hours flight from the nearest guitar technician I'd trust, so how do I do it? It doesn't need to be spot on, but it would be nice if I could at least play the occasional note up the neck without sounding like Les Dawson.

Another question is, after taking all the strings off and re-stringing, the bass has gone really muddy, whereas one of the things I liked about this guitar before was the clear growling bass. Is this because I loosened the cone?
No fear, no envy, no meanness
ed_shred
Certified

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips