Scaley?

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Scaley?

Postby improvisation07 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 pm

So this might sound really stupid but ive had my first all nitro strat for about a year or less and the spot where you rest your arm the finish has become scaley kind of like a fish. is this normal? Do i need to be worried about this? Something i can do to fight it?
improvisation07

Re: Scaley?

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:15 am

Some people pay BIG $$$ for this...it's called "playing wear"... :cheers:
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby improvisation07 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 am

good to know theres no reason to :panic:
improvisation07

Postby mkguitar on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 am

Could be bad sweat on your part reacting with the finish ( and maybe a "soft" uncured finish at that.)

I'd suggest wiping after playing, and using an automotive type paste wax to keep the liquids "on top" of the finishes.
If you need to smooth out the fish scale, some waxes have a "cutting agent" included or tooth paste ( not gel) has fine abrasives which will take care of it.
Remember go in circles- NOT back and forth over the area.

MK
On Tour
mkguitar
Squire

Postby improvisation07 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks for the tip! And yes the nitro is very thin and soft. Dings SUPER easy!

I got the meguirs care kit. Ill start using it after i play zooey. My strat is named zooey :paperbag: .
improvisation07

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips