Out of Phase & Coil Tap

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

Postby B-Squared on Mon May 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Awesome tips, Billy...thanks!

BB
I use Punky McGoo's pickups...and Grundy MacTavich's electronics in my guitars. :D
I also use some Bardledoo caps, and like what I hear. ;)
B-Squared
Duke

Postby noirengineer on Wed May 21, 2008 6:26 pm

what does it sound like? what songs did page use this?
noirengineer
Certified

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Thu May 22, 2008 1:16 am

noirengineer wrote:what does it sound like? what songs did page use this?

Pick one. :wink:

Some good examples would be the solo's in "No Quarter", "Since I've Been Loving You", "The Song Remains The Same"...If it sounds like a half-cocked wah, that's it... :shades:
ImageImageImage

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." --- Thomas Jefferson
®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby ayh on Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 am

Very cool Rev, gettn this info out to the masses

All my humbucker guitars are rigged with a single coil function (I dont own any vintage PAFs so.....)
It comes in handy on fly in gigs where I'll have a coil tapped SG .I'll still have the humbucker for the rock and the single coil for the country/soul/clean stuff where I can kinda simulate the Tele

I usually go ahead and wire all my hums witha 4 conductor cable that way I get all the possibilities available

Can't keep all this stuff in my head,use this page for reference ,particularly with putting the 5way in the Danos

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/cate ... iringmods/
ayh
Motivational Speaker

Postby PJD on Sat May 24, 2008 1:26 pm

First off a HUGE thanks Rev., the pics are super helpful. I will be printing this thread later today and practicing on a beater before moving on to a good pickup.

Two quick questions about flipping the magnet.
1) Does it affect the tone of the pickup when not used with the other pickup (ie on its own)?

2) Is there one pickup that's preferable to magnet flip? The reason I ask is I'd like to go for the 'half cocked wah' Page sound in my LP. I've got a Seymour Duncan Antiquity in the bridge and the neck pickup out of my '71 SG in the neck. That's always been my favorite neck pickup so I would prefer to fiddle with the less rare and easily replaceable Antiquity.

Will flipping the magnet in the bridge pickup produce the desired effect?

Thanks again!
PJD
Knight

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Sat May 24, 2008 2:14 pm

PJD wrote:First off a HUGE thanks Rev., the pics are super helpful. I will be printing this thread later today and practicing on a beater before moving on to a good pickup.

Two quick questions about flipping the magnet.
1) Does it affect the tone of the pickup when not used with the other pickup (ie on its own)?

No.

PJD wrote:2) Is there one pickup that's preferable to magnet flip? The reason I ask is I'd like to go for the 'half cocked wah' Page sound in my LP. I've got a Seymour Duncan Antiquity in the bridge and the neck pickup out of my '71 SG in the neck. That's always been my favorite neck pickup so I would prefer to fiddle with the less rare and easily replaceable Antiquity.

I'd fiddle with the less-valuable pickup. If I were gonna do the coil tap on a pickup, I'd go ahead and flip the magnet, too, if'n I wanted the Out Of Phase sound...

PJD wrote:
Will flipping the magnet in the bridge pickup produce the desired effect?

Thanks again!

Either/Or. The Out Of Phase sound only works when two pickups are selected.
ImageImageImage

®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby PJD on Tue May 27, 2008 11:59 pm

Thanks a bunch!

Worked exactly like the pictures/guide showed. The pickup was wax potted and stuck a little but once it was free, smooth sailing., This weekend will be the Antiquity in my Lester.

Thanks again!!!!
PJD
Knight

Postby zaxxon on Thu May 29, 2008 9:18 pm

I read an article in Guitar Player where the author claimed that flipping the magnet, so it's magnetically out of phase, sounds different and reacts to your playing/string movement differently than if you just installed a phase switch. I've had an electrical engineer insist that both will sound exactly the same, either way you're changing the polarity. Anyone tried an A/B polarity test?
zaxxon
Baron

Postby ®ëv. ßïll¥ © on Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 pm

zaxxon wrote:I read an article in Guitar Player where the author claimed that flipping the magnet, so it's magnetically out of phase, sounds different and reacts to your playing/string movement differently than if you just installed a phase switch. I've had an electrical engineer insist that both will sound exactly the same, either way you're changing the polarity. Anyone tried an A/B polarity test?

The magnet-flip is "better" sounding (IMHO) than the phase-switch. The magnet-flip uses magnetic polarity between the 2 pickups to change the sound; the switch changes the direction of the electricity between the pickups.

Engineers use graphs & equations to depict their hypotheses & facts. :dexter:

All us lowly guitarists/musicians have to use is our ears... :? ...and our ears don't follow a graph, pie-chart, or bar graph...

Engineers also like to tell us that pots & caps don't affect tone within a guitar's circuit. That's the biggest pile of fish paste I've ever heard. Don't need a graph to tell ya' that... :wink:
ImageImageImage

®ëv. ßïll¥ ©
The Central Scrutinizer

Postby B-Squared on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:24 pm

I've referred a few LP enthusiasts from the MLP to this thread; thanks a bunch for doing this Billy.

It's pretty much "B.B." proof. :D

BB
I use Punky McGoo's pickups...and Grundy MacTavich's electronics in my guitars. :D
I also use some Bardledoo caps, and like what I hear. ;)
B-Squared
Duke

Postby PJD on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:54 pm

Wanted to post an update that this is working flawlessly in my main Les Paul. I flipped the magnet on the Antiquity with ease and it is exactly what I felt I had been missing from that guitar. Love it!

Thanks again.
PJD
Knight

Something went wrong...

Postby cosmiqphuz on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:07 am

I followed every step you described for the Peter Green mod. I'm not getting any sound out of my neck humbucker. Did I damage the neck humbucker?
cosmiqphuz
Peasant

Postby Thermionik on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:27 pm

®ëv. ßïll¥ © - while you are answering cosmiqphuz's question, could you shed some light on the sound change resulting from rotating the entire pup 180 degrees. You see a lot of HB's, especially at the bridge position, where the pup is the other way around to the factory issue. I guess the pick-up coil with adjustable screw pole-pieces (rather than the coil with plain slug pole-pieces) is in a different position and so picks up a different harmonic content - but different in what way?

Oh - and awesome instructions, clearest I have yet seen. Nice work. :not_worthy: :score010:
String driven things and thermionics.....
humble offerings for your amusement YouTube and SoundCloud
Thermionik
Knight

Postby sunsmf on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Billy thanks for the info, I've been giving this some thought lately. Two questions if I could;
Is the proceedure the same for mini humbuckers? Are they structurally the same as a standard size (I've never been inside one).
Does the distance between the pick-ups make a big difference in the sound? I have a 3 pu custom I was thinking of doing the middle pup. When both middle and bridge are on, they are obviously closer together than bridge and neck. Thanks again.
sunsmf
Squire

Re: Out of Phase & Coil Tap

Postby PJD on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:57 am

I noticed some of the pictures are missing from the original post. Any way to get those back on there? Everybody who plays/hears my LP with this mod asks me about it and I remember how helpful those pics were when i first did it.

Thanks!
PJD
Knight

Previous

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips